Coolant leak near overflow tank

I just finished the dreaded water pump seal replacement on my 01 and all looked good... for about 20 miles! Now it has developed a coolant leak that seems to be coming from the area just under the coolant overflow tank. I did forget to fill the tank. Duh.

I don't see any leak above the tank. It is dripping from the lowest point of the small diameter hose that runs along the bottom of the tank.

Could be as simple as a leak in that hose or at the clamp?

What has to come off to remove that tank to check it? Looks like the shock bolt has to be removed?

Is there anything higher than the overflow tank that could be leaking?

I thought I was good to go and was delighted to be back on the bike. Damn...

Jim M.

Turned out to be pretty simple. Stuck a 2x4 under the rear wheel with the bike on the centre stand. Perfect height to take out the upper shock bolt. Then the footpeg bracket. That gave enough clearance to take out the tank. The hose from the radiator had split just where the reinforcing outer hose ended. Since I plan to ride to work tomorrow I cut it and put in a vacuum hose joint. Looks like it will hold at least as much pressure as the existing hose connections with those flimsy wire clips.

Strangely, the only tricky part was starting the bolt behind the right hand footpeg. It is not vertical, so look carefully. I was working in the dark with a headlamp

Last edited:
I made a hole in my tank today, trying to rig up my chain to limp 'er home after it snapped. The landscape stake I found on the road pierced my reservoir. I was looking for info around the web about the easiest way to get it out. Not much info, but there are a few posts around. I think this is the simplest most information dense postings about removing the reservoir. I'm glad you got it back in working order and wrote about it 😀👍!

Back