Coolant leak

Hi All,
My 2010 FZ1N is losing coolant after every ride from the overflow tube.
Has anyone experienced this before, I’m thinking of starting with changing the thermostat.

thanks in advance.

Does it run hot during riding?

I haven't ran into this issue on my bike, but poor flow can cause boil out after turning off the engine. Also proper fluid mixture, not just water.

Most my riding is done on lanes at speeds on average between 50-80mph temp around 75-85c, around town it does rise to 95-103c.

coolant mix is antifreeze and deionised water.

I’ve been told to check the rad cap and hoses for splits.

You might check the thermostat to see if it is working correctly. Remote it from the housing, and put it in a pot of boiling water, see if the mechanism moves when inserted into the hot water.

I had this issue with a Car once.

have you checked the thermostat yet? interested to know how it comes out.
sad for me my leak is on a carb. hope i can fix, (not sure if it is a hose or a fitting) as new carbs are not out there... that i can find. need to pull them off any how, to clean from the cr#p fuel sold here in cal.

Probably too late of an answer for you, but it might help someone else.
I've had this issue as well. Turns out it's the rad cap not holding enough pressure, allowing the coolant to boil over at a lower temp. This makes it flow into the overflow tank earlier, and decreased vaccuum makes it suck less coolant back into the radiator after it's cooled down some.
New rad cap and coolant flush fixed the issue for me.

Back