Copying black keys - AUS and UK only

Hi all,

I bought my Australian model 2006 FZ1 Naked / FZ1N with only one black key.

For the US members, the AUS and UK bike has an immobiliser system which uses transponders in the everyday-use black keys.

Yamaha says that the black keys can't be copied without the red-coloured key that comes with the bike. Confirmed through every Yamaha dealer in my city.

The only course of action according to Yamaha is buying a new ECU and lock set at a cost of $2,200 AUD / 1,254 GBP / $1,951 USD.

That's worth a Yoshi carbon slip-on, PC3, Ivan's FCE, Pazzos, K&N filter and a CD seat cowl! That wasn't going to happen.

I tried searching all the Yamaha forums and although there's quite a few people who've lost their red keys, there are no alternative solutions except for replacing the ECU with a US non-immobiliser ECU ($600 USD) and vague references to 'a guy in the hills that used to be able to copy Ducati keys, PM me'.

Well, I went to an automotive locksmith today and they copied the black key in less than 3 minutes for $140 including the blank with transponder.

The specific locksmith in question was A1 Locksmiths, Bedford, Western Australia.

When I called, they said they were unsure whether they could do it but they said to come over and they could check to see if it could be done in 2 minutes without charge. I'm sure other automotive locksmiths everywhere would do the same.

It's not a perfect solution however. If the ECU loses it's code, it'll be time for some serious dollars to be put on the counter.

Has anyone had their ECU lose it's code?

Also applicable for other Yamahas including the R1, R6 etc so I hope this helps,

Mitchell.

Back