corbin seat??

I want to replace the factory seat on my 2007 FZ1 and was wondering if anybody has tried either the corbin seat or the yamaha factory "comfort seat" from the accessory catologue. I think the yamaha one will be cheaper for me to get here in Canada, but I don't find the orginal one all that comfortable and want something better. Any thoughts or suggestions??

seat

Hi Ryan,
There are many threads on the subject. Seems that the Sargent is the one preferred by most over Corbin and Gel seat from Yamaha. There is also a guy who can refit your original seat. You can find his site at greatdaytoride.com

I'm still thinking about all options myself. Refitting is way cheaper than a new Sargent and it will keep the original look but I'm still hesitant.

Good luck

I have the Yamaha comfort seat and my longest day was 650 miles from Las Vegas to Boise and I can say that even though my body was cold and tired (it was the beginning of October) the seat performed really well, much better than stock. I have heard really good things about the Sargent as well but for the price I decided to try the Yamaha seat.

As another option check out the AirHawk air cushion. Its about the same price as a genuine gel seat but it's removable so you can put it on another bike :Rockon:

I'm looking for a more comfy seat myself since my Buell had a gel seat and the FZ1N is not as comfy on the rear for long rides...

Just do a Google or eBay search for AirHawk... the Medium size fits the FZ1's...:thumbup:

Do you have to take off the AirHawk every time you get off? It doesn't look like it is locked to the bike at all.

I havn't got one yet but my understanding is that it's strapped under the seat... basically anyone pinching it would have to cut the straps making it useless anyway...

Enigma O U T :Rockon:

over the years i have tried both the sargent and the corbin and i have come to this conclusion

corbin is a saddle deep and slightly bucketed ideal for touring

sargent is a seat retains the same riding position but the seat is better contoured so more sporty

both are good but the real downside to the corbin is the weight they weigh a ton

seats

hey...im new to this forum,i currently ride a vfr, and HAD to get rid of the stock seat....i "ended "up getting a sargent seat and have been pretty happy ,,,,im sure the seat for the fz1 is "different" from the one i have, ..."butt"....it was a purchase that i`m happy i made....(scuse the "puns"

Gel seat

I replaced the stock seat with the Yamaha "comfort seat". Put on 3900 km in 6 days. I was ready to get off at the end of each day. But no lingering soreness. A big improvement over the hour and a half with the stock seat. It looks good too.:tup::tup:

I had a Corbin seat on an old V65 Magna that I had before my FZ1. It was comfortable and heavy but I had a major problem with it. For some reason, the coating on the leather started peeling off. Yes the leather part of the seat had sort of a "vinyl" coating on it and it when it started peeling off it did not look so great. May not be an issue with the Corbin FZ1 seat, but they are expensive and what happened with my V65 seat would make me think twice before purchasing a Corbin seat. Note I have the Yamaha comfort gel and it fits nice and is overall more comfortable then the stock seat.

over the years i have tried both the sargent and the corbin and i have come to this conclusion

corbin is a saddle deep and slightly bucketed ideal for touring

sargent is a seat retains the same riding position but the seat is better contoured so more sporty

My experience was exactly the opposite. I tried two Sargent seats and was not able to easily adjust my position in the corners. A seat better for the touring rider who does not re-position. My Corbin is much more sporty and allows smooth re-positioning while cornering. :sport12:

Do any of these not raise the riding position? I am just comfortable now with proper footwear but don't want to be higher.

The Comfort seat will raise the riding position. The Corbin feels like it lowers the riding position. It's been a while since I owned a Sargent, but it may be similar to stock or raise slightly.

NOTE: I currently own a Corbin and Yamaha Comfort seat. Most days I prefer the Corbin, however now and again I'll prefer the positioning of the Comfort seat. For me the Corbin is an awesome saddle. It's weight is a product of a non-flexing seat pan. I find this stability allows me to provide precise inputs for steering and handling.

Last edited:
Back