Couple questions on my 01 FZ1

Hi all,

I have a couple observations on my FZ1 that I'm not sure if it's normal.

First of all, when I start the bike without choke, it's start and runs/idle fine (usually).However, if I start it with full choke, it will start at around 2k RPM as expected, but then it will drop to 1 to 1.5k after sitting for maybe 2 mins in that config. And if I put it down to half choke/no choke without give some throttle, the bike will die. I set my idle speed at around 1 to 1.1k.

The other thing is the fuel consumption, for the past couple tanks I got about low to mid 30s. My light usually coms on @ 140 miles. I do ride about 90 to 95% city which I know will have negative effect on MPG.

The only mod that I aware of is the aftermarket exhaust. I also find out that the Mixture screw plugs are not present. However, my bike does has a little buzz going on at around 3.5k RPM which I believe the OEM jet will create (correct?) I ran almost a can of Seafoam a tank ago and doesn't seem to help with either issue. If someone can shed some light on it I'll appreciate!

Hi all,

I have a couple observations on my FZ1 that I'm not sure if it's normal.

First of all, when I start the bike without choke, it's start and runs/idle fine (usually).However, if I start it with full choke, it will start at around 2k RPM as expected, but then it will drop to 1 to 1.5k after sitting for maybe 2 mins in that config. And if I put it down to half choke/no choke without give some throttle, the bike will die. I set my idle speed at around 1 to 1.1k.

The other thing is the fuel consumption, for the past couple tanks I got about low to mid 30s. My light usually coms on @ 140 miles. I do ride about 90 to 95% city which I know will have negative effect on MPG.

The only mod that I aware of is the aftermarket exhaust. I also find out that the Mixture screw plugs are not present. However, my bike does has a little buzz going on at around 3.5k RPM which I believe the OEM jet will create (correct?) I ran almost a can of Seafoam a tank ago and doesn't seem to help with either issue. If someone can shed some light on it I'll appreciate!

First off, please tell me that you DID NOT actually use an entire can of Seafoam in your tank. The most you should use for a full tank is 5.5ozs. An entire can is 16ozs. It's 1 ounce for every gallon of gas your tank holds. It sounds to me that you have a "rich" condition going on. Low to mid 30's is way out of line. My 01' has a slip-on along with Ivan's Jet Kit and stock air filter and the least I get running a bit spirited is 42 to 45mpg, and if I just take it nice and easy I can get as high as 48mpg.

Your choke shouldn't need to be on for over two minutes. Even in Winter I only run the choke until the engine stays running without it, a minute at most, and it does the same as yours. Starts off high and comes down. When was the last time you sync'd your carbs and checked your EXUP Valve??? How many miles do you have on the bike now?? If over 26,000 have you had the valves checked??? Also, make sure that your air filter is clean too. Do you smell any gas from your exhaust? Give us some info. Thanks.

First off, please tell me that you DID NOT actually use an entire can of Seafoam in your tank. The most you should use for a full tank is 5.5ozs. An entire can is 16ozs. It's 1 ounce for every gallon of gas your tank holds. It sounds to me that you have a "rich" condition going on. Low to mid 30's is way out of line. My 01' has a slip-on along with Ivan's Jet Kit and stock air filter and the least I get running a bit spirited is 42 to 45mpg, and if I just take it nice and easy I can get as high as 48mpg.

Your choke shouldn't need to be on for over two minutes. Even in Winter I only run the choke until the engine stays running without it, a minute at most, and it does the same as yours. Starts off high and comes down. When was the last time you sync'd your carbs and checked your EXUP Valve??? How many miles do you have on the bike now?? If over 26,000 have you had the valves checked??? Also, make sure that your air filter is clean too. Do you smell any gas from your exhaust? Give us some info. Thanks.

No I didn't put the whole can down, but I probably did put more than I should have. I understand the choke don't have to be on that long, but if I put it to half choke or take out all choke immediately the bike will die, which I found not normal.

The bike only has 12k miles on it. It's an Alaskan bike so it only get ridden 3 - 4 mo. a year. The PO said he put it in storage during winter and had been running it since this spring.

^^+1^^

Also, are the plugs alright? When I had my '01, I ran it ONCE with the choke on for more than I should have, and it fouled the plugs...screwing the whole balance of idle, fuel economy, etc.

Even Mid Winter, I put the choke on fire it up and turn it off and use the throttle to control the engine speed until the fan kicks in.

In 8 years my choke would not have done 10 minutes work. :)

Well, it's probably pretty simple. The bike is used 3 to 4 months out of the year and the rest in storage. To me that says GUMMED UP CARBS all day long. Especially if she's dying when you kill the choke. The idle jets may be gummed up since these bikes are really finicky to begin with. Do yourself a favor and pull the carbs and clean them. Nine times out of ten thats all you need to get back on track. You only have 12K on the bike so your valves should be okay but you should also do your 11,000 mile EXUP Valve check. Once you have the carbs pulled you may just want to re-jet them while you have them open. That will take care of that 3.5K stumble and smooth things out.

Well, it's probably pretty simple. The bike is used 3 to 4 months out of the year and the rest in storage. To me that says GUMMED UP CARBS all day long. Especially if she's dying when you kill the choke. The idle jets may be gummed up since these bikes are really finicky to begin with. Do yourself a favor and pull the carbs and clean them. Nine times out of ten thats all you need to get back on track. You only have 12K on the bike so your valves should be okay but you should also do your 11,000 mile EXUP Valve check. Once you have the carbs pulled you may just want to re-jet them while you have them open. That will take care of that 3.5K stumble and smooth things out.

If I wait till this winter, will that be OK? The season is halfway done already and the bike is otherwise running fine.

If I wait till this winter, will that be OK? The season is halfway done already and the bike is otherwise running fine.

I guess if your happy with that kind of mileage and you don't mind your bike running rich. Pulling the carbs and cleaning them, with a little mechanical knowledge is at most a half day job. Even if you didn't want to re-jet, it would cost you only some time to get the bike running great again. Ultimately it's up to you. The worst feeling is being far from home and your bike won't start. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Back