Crash Bobbins

Hi Guys,
Got the facility to make some crash bobbins so was wondering if any of you guys could do me a drawing so I have some dimensions to work to. Bike is FZ1 57 plate

Thanks in advance,
Bussy...........

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
Got the facility to make some crash bobbins so was wondering if any of you guys could do me a drawing so I have some dimensions to work to. Bike is FZ1 57 plate

Thanks in advance,
Bussy...........

Translation. Frame sliders for a 2007 FZ1.

Bussy, I've tried to get people to use our terms since moving out here. It is a long process. Lol. ;)

I googled it and thought about replying with something close to the following:

"Google them or look on ebay, there are plenty out there no need to spend money on having them made from scratch"

Sometimes it's rewarding to make it yourself, though.

I would have thought that "crash bobbins" were "axle sliders" since they look so much like oversize sewing machine bobbins.

My frame sliders bolt to the frame immediately behind the engine. They came with replacement engine mounting bolts, I'm afraid that I don't remember the length. They're basically hollow cyinders 79.4mm tall and 44.5mm in diameter. There is a hole that goes most of the way through that is 25.4mm in diameter.

Last edited:
These are Shogun Sliders. I have some T Rex lying around somewhere but I could NOT find them. If I do find them I will load up some pics/ dimensions for you.

I'm a bog fan of making things myself so I understand what you are doing. However it might be a good idea to look around Ebay and find some used sliders that you like. You can get them real cheap and then you can add the ideas/personal touches that you want to add. ALSO IT IS A HUGE BENEFIT to take an actual model in to your machinists. They will be able to make you something better if you hand them something + your drawings + ideas.

Be sure to post up some pics and let us see how it turns out.

Good Luck!!!

One more thing

How deep is the hole from the top of the unit to the inside washer? I noticed it also has a washer inset on the frame (stub) side.

How deep is the hole from the top of the unit to the inside washer?

65.9 MM

I noticed it also has a washer inset on the frame (stub) side.

It's not a washer as far as I can tell. It's a length of round tube (that serves as a "Sleeve" for the fastening bolt). It's all one piece and it's approximately 39.3 MM. I say approximately because I do not have the equipment to measure it exactly. I stuck a pen inside and marked it ~ then used the caliper to measure the length. It's NOT spot on but I was pretty careful so it's pretty close.

I tried to get the measurements as close as I could but honestly ~ I have seen these in all shapes and sizes. In fact I am CERTAIN that the Shogun and T-Rex are DIFFERENT LENGTHS. I didn't have to measure them, I just held them up next to each other.

To the OP ~ Length is something important to look into. I remember reading something about sliders that were too long could make the bike flip. I have NO idea if that is true - just one of those things I read on the internet. One thing I have enjoyed about having my sliders a little longer is that it allows me to stretch my feet out and use them as hi-way pegs.

Whatever length/style you choose to make, just keep in mind how important these sliders are to the protection of your bike. They literally save you THOUSANDS of dollars when you go down. I mean they are worth their weight in gold so I would recommend going all out on quality. They really are that important.

Thanks for that, nice work. Considering that it is an insert, I'd be willing to bet that it is threaded on the outside, so that it stays tight inside the Derlin slider.

Sometimes you have to be careful with the all aluminum sliders. They tend to grab the ground in a slide rather than skid which causes them to twist and break which can leave the bolt stuck in the frame or worse crack the weld. I had a custom set made that are all delrin plastic that have a steel through bolt and an aluminum hub.

Back