Chain lube or Chain wax

• Lube

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Wax

Votes: 12 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

M.Martin

I have always used lube for my chains. But am thinking of using wax to keep everything cleaner. What do you all use? Pros cons?:dontknow:

I, too, am curious about this!

I currently use PJ-1 blue label but I find it's very sticky and collects grime easily.
PJIbluesmall.jpg

I've heard a lot of people rave about this Dupont Teflon Chain Saver
0003612119183_500X500.jpg

Apparently it's quite good. They sell it at Wal-Mart

I have always used lube for my chains. But am thinking of using wax to keep everything cleaner. What do you all use? Pros cons?:dontknow:

I was also using the PJ1 Lube. I went to buy a bike and the guy had been using wax on it. It looked horrible, one of the reasons I got an out of state bike rather than getting one here. I just held a microfiber towel at the bottom of the chain as I was applying it and ran it around a couple times to get the extra. I noticed it didn't get as grimey and was a lot cleaner looking.

WD-40 every week on all my bikes or as needed (2 GSXRs, FZ). Each chain lasted at least 16K. I also use chain cleaner once a month with a stiff brush. Cheap and effective. :2cents:

i use lube or just wd-40. riding in the northwest where its always dirty and chains need a lot of cleaning, wax is too much work as i have to clean it once a week riding in so much rain. if i was in a drier climate, or on my track bike where i only run in the dry, wax is the way to go when you dont have to clean/rewax all the time

It is best to warm the chain up before applying wax. I tried it but found some rust after a while and it jusst didn't seem to work that well.

I use Honda Pro chain lube from the local dealer. About 10 bucks a can, works well and very clean as far as splatter goes.

Clean your chain every 500 to 1000 miles with Kerosene, rinse, dry and apply lube every 200 miles. Works well for me.

PJ1 or Bell ray.
THe key or trick is to apply it while chain is warm after a ride. It sokes in and sets up to prevent slinging.

Now I use drive shaft lube.

WD-40 every week on all my bikes or as needed (2 GSXRs, FZ). Each chain lasted at least 16K. I also use chain cleaner once a month with a stiff brush. Cheap and effective. :2cents:

Well 16k is not much I got 28k out of mine and lube it (PJ blue) every 500-600 miles and after every rain.

However the lube makes the chain very dirty and I clean it every 2000 miles with WD40 but lube it afterwards, I used the teflon stuff twice and it makes a clean chain but seemed to require application more often.

Any long term knowledge about the teflon stuff?

I spent about 4 hours cleaning off my new to me fz1 the bike only had 2200 miles and the rim swingarm were covered it looked like motor oil but came off like epoxy i run wax apply every other tank after heating chain up

Yep, opinions vary with differing experience. I used chain wax/spray lube for a few years, but got lazy with doing 30,000miles per year.

The wax used to collect dirt and turn it into grinding paste, destroying the chain. Just through me being lazy!

I fit auto oilers to my bikes now. Used them for 10+ years and have barely needed to adjust my chain, let alone replace them. They seem to 'wash' the dirt out rather than collect it. I just remove the front sprocket cover once per year and remove any excess crud that's collected.

They're a pain to set up, but work incredibly well. They can be hidden away pretty well too. You can only see the delivery tube on my sprocket and that's it.

Most any lube will increase the chain life by reducing the sprocket wear more than it protects the chain itself. The chain rollers are harder than the sprocket. The more lube the better. My bike has almost 28K on the stock chain and and rear sprocket. 10K on the 16T front sprocket. I have replacement parts in my garage, but I won't be replacing the parts until the wear starts to accelerate.

chain Wax

I normally ride between 300 and 500 miles a week depending on where I am teaching. If the weather is warm and dry I normally clean my chain every other week. But if it rains I clean my chain when I get home. I use Kerosene and a chain scrubber to clean the chain then take it out for a run to warm it up and apply 'Maxima Chain Wax'. It seems to do the job well and have found no rust spots at all on the chain.

I use Maxima too. Probably every 300-500 miles (roughly weekly). I clean the chain about once a month with kerosene to keep the grime down. 20K+ on the OEM chain. It has only needed adjustment once outside of rear tire replacements.

Yep, opinions vary with differing experience. I used chain wax/spray lube for a few years, but got lazy with doing 30,000miles per year.

The wax used to collect dirt and turn it into grinding paste, destroying the chain. Just through me being lazy!

I fit auto oilers to my bikes now. Used them for 10+ years and have barely needed to adjust my chain, let alone replace them. They seem to 'wash' the dirt out rather than collect it. I just remove the front sprocket cover once per year and remove any excess crud that's collected.

They're a pain to set up, but work incredibly well. They can be hidden away pretty well too. You can only see the delivery tube on my sprocket and that's it.

Same experience here :tup:

Fitted my scottoiler last year, best mod I've made. Should have done that many years ago.

I don't do 30000 miles a year, but stil a great way to lube. And so easy to clean the chain. Just a rag with a bit of oil and it looks like new.

View attachment 12723

Back