Don't let a little snow keep you home

bewarethefuzz

The sky was blue and after a coast run with a sprinkle of snow, we headed inland and found more snow.
12742356605_dfaff6d4f0_b.jpg

A lot more!
12742829034_2235b7a6e1_b.jpg

Got a little snow fever which lead us to this friggin enermous temple
12742574033_2f01010412_b.jpg

All that snow burned up a lot of energy so we went to a local old style eatery.
12742660813_b79271bc6a_b.jpg

Initially had the place to ourselves
12742447835_d7e0db83d3_b.jpg

Then the looong term locals rocked up followed by the reeeal long term locals. They were friendly enough and half of them had no teeth so..
12742463615_328e4e1a46_b.jpg

Look at that fantastic looking shirt!
12742908124_45f5e5380a_b.jpg

Had a great feed and went to try our luck on a favorite road but... it was snow-closed
12743025794_772c5b9946_b.jpg

Then it was time for the run home. Unfortunately, my brother on the FZ1 had a little Suzuki 4wd try to plow him into a telephone pole tearing off a touring peg, tweaking his radiator, knocking off the indicator and scuffing up the fairing a bit. Fortunately, he showed some ninja like reflexes and weaved the FZ1 onto the sidewalk for an undramatic landing. But not before destroying the front quarter, mirror and trim of the complacent Suzi. Well done Bro!

Beautiful pictures! I love the snow.. looks like the perfect scenic right. I would n't be tempted to ruin te view.. drying on the snow or sometjhing

Local wild boar, thin udon noodles, green salad, pickles, multi-grain rice and an egg. Delicous and great rider fuel!

Oh my goodness! Sounds wonderful.

Asian food, Japanese food more specifically is one of my very favorite. Stupid question time, but how does a meal, like the one in the photo, compare to a good Japanese restaurant in the US?

I was telling my wife just the other day that rural Japan is on my bucket list, such a beautiful place.

Ha! If only our roads were clear like that with that much snow on the sides. I'd be all about riding. We have like 1/2" of ice on parts of the roads.

And then there's the drifting snow.

Great pics. glade your bro is ok!

Me too Stretched. He had a lot of pain in the leg squished between the Suzi and the FZ1. Seemed nothing was broken and being the trouper he is, he kept walking on it and moving to get the good juices flowing to repair any damage.

Adding a photo of the battered Suzi.
Also, Bro reports:
The Suzuki Jimny may have a lion heart , but the FZ1 has a sturdy constitution & is not so easy to beat up!
Real glad to get through that one & that hoof has become pretty sore today...

Last edited:
...how does a meal, like the one in the photo, compare to a good Japanese restaurant in the US?
Sorry Hellgate, never been to the US. Guam doesn't count, right?
I'm from Australia so can only use that as an example. I've found that restaurants there tend to focus on high-end or locally acceptable tastes. Sushi and teriyaki for example. If you pay enough, the quality is good and the taste acceptable. Cheaper is just that and lacks the presentation, focus and genuine ingredients that give the uniquely Japanese balance. It is quite palatable and matches local expectations though.
In Japan, the food can vary with price also. But the sheer variety in price, ingredients and flavors sets it apart. The cooks are all Japanese and career cooks. A restaurant can't survive on the fact it is 'uniquely Japanese' either, so it has to be good, new, cheap or trendy to survive. Like a good steak joint.
I'm guessing youl know ramen. Well, near me there is a main arterial road famous for its ramen restaurants. About 10 of them within a mile or so. 2 or 3 of them seem to always be closing or reopening, a half dozen or so manage to get by and a few thrive. They all offer excellent service, show a passion for their craft and have some kind of theme along with a vast ability to customize. As to sushi, the stuff in department stores or cheap sushi places could easily be the same as in any country. However, head for the coast in fishing areas and you'll be truly impressed. There is nothing like 'caught today' sushi/sashimi caught by fishermen fishing specifically for sushi restaurants and then sliced and served by a hereditary master.
In the countryside, the variety changes as you move from area to area, with changes in local produce, climate, terrain and customs. You can always find little local udon, soba, tonkatsu, yakitori or gyudon places. The ones with heavy traffic being the best and are typically worth the wait if necessary.
As to the dish in the photo, it was 1200yen(@$11) and couldn't be found in Oz. The quality and freshness of the tofu, rice and udon noodles are without effort simply better. And real wild pig...

I was telling my wife just the other day that rural Japan is on my bucket list, such a beautiful place.
Let me know when you're coming...

Speaking of 'Bucket List'

Last edited:
Me too Stretched. He had a lot of pain in the leg squished between the Suzi and the FZ1. Seemed nothing was broken and being the trouper he is, he kept walking on it and moving to get the good juices flowing to repair any damage.

Adding a photo of the battered Suzi.
Also, Bro reports:
The Suzuki Jimny may have a lion heart , but the FZ1 has a sturdy constitution & is not so easy to beat up!
Real glad to get through that one & that hoof has become pretty sore today...

Glad to hear he is OK after that!

Back