Dropped her today...

lee36

Litterally dropped the FZ1 today ... not crashed, dropped :iamwithstupid:

Thank GOD I spent the $50 bucks and bought T-Rex sliders on eBay when she was new and thankfully the only visible damage is a slight scuff on the slider itself!

With an unusally warm day I was all excited to take a quick spin so I dropped the stand down, started her up to warm the engine and turned to grab my helmet... Unfortunately, my drive way has a slight decline and it was just enough to vibrate forward on the side stand..doh! Lucky I was right there to grab the seat rail and eased her down but if it were not for my trusty sliders this could have really been embarrasing!!!!

So all you newbies out there (or lazy seasoned veterans), go get yourself some sliders and be more careful using those side stands :D

Lessoned Learned. Nuff said...

Glad it wasn't worse Lee. Yeah, I always make sure the side stand is fully locked forward before trusting the bike on it. But it is easy to make this mistake. Kudos for the sliders!

Today I cleaned and lubed the chains or Hiz and Herz. We're ready for this week which promises a full week of commuting weather! :yes:

There have been far worse drops than that. Sounds like you came out just fine. No injury and the sliders did their job. I'm glad you and your FZ are OK.

Glad there was no major damage done from the drop, and, that you escaped with only a minor scuff to the T-Rex slider . . .. . very lucky indeed !! :cheers:

This is one reason why I very rarely let mine run on the side stand. I can just see myself bumping the shifter and have it lurch forward enough to spill over! I especially wouldn't let it run pointed down a grade. Luckily no damage to your bike so it was a free lesson!

This is one reason why I very rarely let mine run on the side stand. I can just see myself bumping the shifter and have it lurch forward enough to spill over! I especially wouldn't let it run pointed down a grade. Luckily no damage to your bike so it was a free lesson!

Funny you mention that since I almost always use the center stand! Whether its running or not .... but yes... and the only reason I was there to catch it as I did mentally process the possibility of it easing forward but I was so damn eager to grab my helmet and GO !!!!

Yes, this time slight scuff only and damaged pride but lesson learned indeed!

Maybe others can learn from my blunder! LOL

Last edited:
Glad your OK Lee. It could have been a lot worse.
Most of us have dropped. I pulled in on an SV650 to get some coffee at about 6AM. As I was backing out (I parked front tire to the store) - my right foot slipped so hard that my body rolled back on the seat and I remember looking at my right foot in the air thinking "WTF is my foot doing in the air?" HAHAHA Then SMACK!!!!! Everyone in the parking lot was standing there watching me but I didn't care. I had to find out...... IT WAS KITTY LITTER!!!!! Some attendant at the 7/11 had sprinkled Kitty Litter in the parking stalls to soak up the oil. It was pitch black outside so I didn't ever see it.
Falling sux!!!! Kitty Litter sux!!!! Glad you are safe brother!!!

Thanks for the posts guys ... And popular jock so sorry to hear of your mishap!!! Can totally see how that could happen pushing back then whoosh! Damn to kitty litter and any sand like substance !!!!

Guess we all learn what to watch out for ... The hard way !

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?oeut24

That would have put your heart in your throat!! Good work sliders - no ding in the tank this time. Fitted mine very recently for that exact reason - more likely to have a mishap parking than when your riding seriously. Good catch too!!!

Yea, I can't say enough about spending a few bucks on frame and axle sliders. Certainly saved my bike in the past.

Glad it wasn't any worse Lee...

I almost dropped my YZF last year because the side stand wasn't fully extended and I didn't notice it. Luckily I was standing next to the bike and it just fell against my leg...:eek:

This Saturday

Sorry to hear that Lee but I'm glad it wasn't disasterous. Frame sliders are the very next thing on my list.

SO TRUE!

I put Shogun Swing Arm sliders two weeks ago. Its going to rain for the next week, so the Frame Slider go on this Saturday. :yes:

Sorry to hear about the drop.

Back