dropped my Hero

dropped my Hero2 HD sportscam and ofcourse it landed flat on its face, causing a small star into the lens.

I took the camera out the housing to replace the SD card while seated on my terras chair, but when reaching out to the table to get my new SD card it slipped out my hand and fell on the stone floor face first...:cry:

just dropped a note via the GoPro support link if ever this lens can be replaced?

Oh Crap Arnold, that sucks. I have a brand new lens if you need it but it's for the case and not the camera itself. I'm not sure how the customer service is at GoPro but I'm sure they will help you. If you need the case lens just PM me your mailing address and I'll throw it in an envelope for ya!

Hi Billy , thx for offer but indeed its not the housing lens. These can be purchased as an accessory...but found this and already contacted them:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FdF5Brnp8M]GoPro HD 1080p Hero How To Remove Lens RageCams - YouTube[/ame]

response from GoPro Customer service:

Hi Arnold,

We're sorry to hear about the damage to your camera.

Due to the lens being locked into the precise position on the sensor, and the intricacy of the camera itself, the cost of trying to replace the lens would be too high for us to be able to offer a repair service. However, if it is a scratch on the lens of the camera that is shallow enough, a camera, jewelry, or eyeglass repair shop may be able to buff out the scratch for you.

If the damage can not be repaired, and the camera is a recent purchase, we may be able to offer you a discount on the purchase of a replacement unit. If interested, please reply with a copy of your original purchase receipt, along with a picture of the damaged lens.

Option1: seek a repair shopp who can buff out the scratch: no guarantee for suc6
Option2: order new lense from RageCams at 129$ and replace it as per instructions
Option3: get offer from GoPro and buy a naked Hero2 discount

The discount I got was 40% after a stick on mount came un-stuck and I lost everything and nothing to show. The 2nd stick on mount failure, it was 100% replacement. They could have blown me off and offered me nothing. I however do not trust the stick on mounts. I now use Ram mounts except on my helmet.

the damage
034-5.jpg

035-5.jpg

picture taken with damaged lense...should I even bother to spend buying another cam?
004-6.jpg

try to locate the damaged spots in picture

004b.jpg

Last edited:
I think it would bother me too. Just saying. I would probably go with the replacement lens for 130 bucks. It's still less than half the price of an HD2 unit, and it looks easy enough to do yourself.

i'm a goldsmith there is no way any shop in its right mind would touch that, 90% of shops wouldn't even have the compound to polish it. even if they could it will misallign your lens
ignore this option, i can't believe go pro would even mention that as an option.

went this weekend to a local fotocamera shop and got the same response...the 50% offer Gopro suggested is when I return the damaged one. I'm now checking what discount they will offer if I keep the damaged unit and buy a new one...Will await that response before opting to either live with it till again some spare $$$ to buy a new one (or another model) or to replace the lens.

Back