Ducati Monster 821

Dustin

Ducati Monster 821 ? A Midsummer Dream from Bologna

Looks great, I love it. A baby Monster 1200

Ducati-Monster-821-03.jpg

As owner of a Ducati M796 ABS my wife had one thing to say about this bike: Double sided swingarm??? Not giving up her Monster for this bike. Awful heavy for a Monster as well.

She is exactly the target market for this bike and they didn't even come close to nailing it for her. It doesn't appear to even have the TFT display. Again, double sided swing arm???? Come on. Also just as an FYI, my wife hasn't had a single problem with her 796 since she bought it new. The MV Agusta Brutale was a different story.

I'm bummed. I was hoping she would love the replacement but this didn't make sense to her. I'll have to keep trying to talk her into buying the KTM SuperDuke R!

Attachments

• DSC03502.jpg
    DSC03502.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC03501.jpg
    DSC03501.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 107
I'm the weird one. I've never like Ducati. Now the KTM 1290 Super Duke R and the Aprilia Tuono V4R APRC peak my interest, but no dealer anywhere close to me (well, KTM, but dirt only). Now the BMW S1000R is all the hype and more. I got to test ride one, and it is everything they say!

Good to hear someone has ridden it. My BMW dealer wouldn't even call me when they came in because they were only getting 2 of them and 1 was presold. They acted like they were the only motorcycle dealer in the US so I decided the BMW wasn't for me. At least not from them, and I really am a lot more passionate about the Super Duke R. Wife says go buy it, but the guilt would kill me.

Good to hear someone has ridden it. My BMW dealer wouldn't even call me when they came in because they were only getting 2 of them and 1 was presold. They acted like they were the only motorcycle dealer in the US so I decided the BMW wasn't for me. At least not from them, and I really am a lot more passionate about the Super Duke R. Wife says go buy it, but the guilt would kill me.

That kind of BMW attitude was prevalent back in the 70's and 80's when Butler & Smith were the importers....very poor customer relations. I wonder if BMW is getting back into that attitude with their current lineup of bikes. There are 2 BMW dealers in my area that are also Triumph dealers and they are pretty cold as far as help is concerned. Everytime I walk in there to browse around they seem indifferent.

Life is too short, buy it guilt free!

Well, finally went and checked out a SDR in person. Very sweet, but still can't get myself to spend the coin on it. I'm afraid KTM is going to pull an Aprilia and drop the price in a year. After Aprilia did it on the Tuono V4 I'd feel like an ass paying full pop for the KTM if they do it too. Don't know how the KTM will sell head to head after some time with the BMW undercutting it by $2,000. Really like it though.

Last edited:
KTM, SchmATM....I'd take the Beemer anyday.

Even if you don't get to do a test ride, all the reports say that it is the ducks guts of naked performance bikes.

We are lucky here in Australia, we can test ride pretty much anything.

If only I had the money, the S1000R would be in my garage like yesterday.

Blavenia
Why don't you by-pass your unfriendly dealer and internet shop another BMW store. Make a dea, settle on all fees and conditions, prior - all in print. No haggle. Go it the bike.
I did that with a car - got a huge amount off. Showed up - signed the papers - took off.

Sorry I just saw this post. I think my heart really belongs to the KTM to be honest. I know it's having some teething problems like any first year bike would, but damn I just love the thing.

Back