ECU REFLASH - Bauce Racing vs Vcylenut ?

DaveC

I'm in the middle of modding a new to me 08 FZ-1, on the short list is getting the ECU reflashed.

I've had email correspondence with both of these peeps/ companies.
Both claim to offer what I need, although Bauce took the time to provide a detailed lengthy reply of what they had to offer vs a short two liner from VC.

Both are $200 + shipping with quick turnanround.
I'm not looking for a custom tune, just to get rid of a few of the low speed annoyances the FZ-1 comes stock with.

Any opinion one vs the other?

Thanks for the help.

David

They all do pretty much the same thing unless you have other mods, airbox, exhaust. Mine is stock and flashed by a company here in Canada. Most use the flashtune software Very happy with the results, throttle snatch is gone, engine braking reduced, no more fuel cut, factory restrictions removed. It runs like it should have from the factory.

If you have mods I would recommend Ivan's flash, he is the resident expert when it comes to the FZ1. Not sure what he charges.

Ivan's Performance Products

Yeah I bet Ivans is great, but not not too sure it's $150 better than the other two options I listed above.

He's at $350 according to his site.

Vcyclenut is also highly recommended on many forums. The reason I suggested Ivan is he has been tuning the FZ1 from the first generation on and has spent many hours perfecting his tune, especially with mods. If your bike is stock then I would say its not worth the extra $150, but if it has been modded then I would say its worth the extra$

I've got my ECU coming on Monday via courier. It's had an Woolich racing flash.

Any experience with this guys. ??? :O)

I’ve seen them mentioned before, but no first hand experience.

My ECU is on the slow ride home, hoping to have the bike put back together next week fir a test spin.

I’ve seen them mentioned before, but no first hand experience.

My ECU is on the slow ride home, hoping to have the bike put back together next week fir a test spin.

Where did you end up getting it flashed? I have a slip-on, K&N filter & 16t front sprocket. And am thinking about getting a flash from Vcyclenut.

Where did you end up getting it flashed? I have a slip-on, K&N filter & 16t front sprocket. And am thinking about getting a flash from Vcyclenut.

Vcyclenut only because I found a $20 off coupon through "motosouth" on a you tube vid. Dumb reason I know but really had nothing else pushing me one way or the other.

I'm hoping his flash is a one and done deal.
Time will tell.

Yeah not much when you are talking about a big purchase, but it covered the return shipping , squaring off the cost to right under $200 (plus my shipping there).
If you go the VC route, pay attention to his website as there is mention of his moving soon to a different mailing address-different state- I would hate to get hung up in the mix of that.

Dave aka Vcyclenut has been my go to flash tuner for the past couple of years. My FZ1 runs like a top. not a single issue, flat spot, anything with the tune. I have heard Ivan is the original FZ1 tuner though, so he may be worth a try

Well I installed the vcycleneut reflashed ecu today and took her for a spin.
Much smoother at low rpm‘s, smooth all the way through the rpm range in every gear.
I did a few throttle dumps at varying rpm’s- the bog is gone that I had when dumping throttle at 5k, but did get it to bog down when in 6th at about 3k but I guess that is to be expected.
Overall I am happy with the way she rides, not so much extra power, just smoother throughout.
I did do a first gear to redline pull and the front end stayed planted, I was hoping for a lightened front wheel but didn’t feel it. Oh well, my 49 yo ass doesn’t need to be pulling wheelies anyways.
I went through a road construction radar and it indicated 43mph, as did my speedo-so evidently it has been corrected as well.
so this is a thumbs up to the Vcyclnut reflash from me.

are others better? Hard to tell when I can only test the one I have.

Here she is

Attachments

• 3E68ADB8-98DB-4862-8E6C-2AC2FAAD50C4.jpeg
    3E68ADB8-98DB-4862-8E6C-2AC2FAAD50C4.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
  • 30DB13EF-2B74-4C39-9806-1FFA67E876A0.jpeg
    30DB13EF-2B74-4C39-9806-1FFA67E876A0.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
Well I installed the vcycleneut reflashed ecu today and took her for a spin.
Much smoother at low rpm‘s, smooth all the way through the rpm range in every gear.
I did a few throttle dumps at varying rpm’s- the bog is gone that I had when dumping throttle at 5k, but did get it to bog down when in 6th at about 3k but I guess that is to be expected.
Overall I am happy with the way she rides, not so much extra power, just smoother throughout.
I did do a first gear to redline pull and the front end stayed planted, I was hoping for a lightened front wheel but didn’t feel it. Oh well, my 49 yo ass doesn’t need to be pulling wheelies anyways.
I went through a road construction radar and it indicated 43mph, as did my speedo-so evidently it has been corrected as well.
so this is a thumbs up to the Vcyclnut reflash from me.

are others better? Hard to tell when I can only test the one I have.
did you keep the stock cat in tact? Mine will pull 1st gear power wheelies but I also have a 16t front sprocket & gutted stock header.

Mine will pull a 1st gear power wheelie with a 16t front sprocket and no flash. Rev to 6k, then stab the throttle. And the front end gets light in 2nd with a WOT stab from 5.5k.

Stock gearing, not positive about cat.
The exup had been removed so it assumed the cat as well, only way to find out is to pull my slip on and look. I haven’t taken the time to look. The slip on has baffling in the way to check from the exhaust direction.
The bike came with a Yamaha 16 tooth, but it’s not installed, came loose with other stuff, still in the package. Original owner bought but never put it on.
How much top end do you loose with the 16 tooth up front?

Edit-
And does anyone with stock gearing pull the front wheels when romping toward redline?
I'll have to try 5-6k throttle dump again next time I get it out.

sounds like an option, I just haven’t gone there yet.

Last edited:
Yeah not much when you are talking about a big purchase, but it covered the return shipping , squaring off the cost to right under $200 (plus my shipping there).
If you go the VC route, pay attention to his website as there is mention of his moving soon to a different mailing address-different state- I would hate to get hung up in the mix of that.
[/QUOTE

Which address, I sent Vcyclenut my ecu yesterday to Washington state, but my Credit Card was billed from Florida.

He is (supposedly) now located in Washington state.
he was moving there a few days after he flashed mine, I was getting a lil feared my ECU was gonna show up in Florida after he had went northbound.

He is (supposedly) now located in Washington state.
he was moving there a few days after he flashed mine, I was getting a lil feared my ECU was gonna show up in Florida after he had went northbound.

Oh great, I sent the ECU to Washington state! From Florida to Washington state quite the transition.

Back