engine sounds rough

ive had my fz1 fazer for about 4 months now and during recent riding ive noticed the sound echo from riding past objects on the chain side is very ticky! i checked my chain tension and has an overall slack measurement upward and downwards of about 30mm, which is what the book recommends. the engine still sounds a bit ticky to me!! since tried both slacking and tensioning the chain but to no avail. is this just the way fz1's sound!

ive had my fz1 fazer for about 4 months now and during recent riding ive noticed the sound echo from riding past objects on the chain side is very ticky! i checked my chain tension and has an overall slack measurement upward and downwards of about 30mm, which is what the book recommends. the engine still sounds a bit ticky to me!! since tried both slacking and tensioning the chain but to no avail. is this just the way fz1's sound!

First I would make sure that your chain is clean and lubed. Also make sure that your rear wheel is in alignment and that your chain is tracking straight and true. If thats okay, I would pull the front sprocket cover just to make sure that everything is okay in there. If all things check out then I wouldn't worry about it. I have a section of road over my way that grades upward alongside of a mountain. On one side, the block wall is continuous except for a air space about 2' wide every 5' or so. Every time I ride past this section the bike sounds like there is something terribly wrong. The sound only comes when passing the openings in the wall. Once I pass this section, everything sounds perfect again. Just a thought for you.

I agree with FZ1riderNY's comments. If your chain tension is OK and the chain is cleaned and lubed properly and in alignment, it's good to go. I have also found that riding past different conditions on the road, such as cement barriers or walls can reflect noise that isn't normally heard while riding. Secondly, I've noticed that even changing from one helmet to another can change the sounds that reach your ears, making the rider believe that something mechanical has changed. I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you say ticky. I haven't heard that adjective used to describe a chain's sound before.

Back