Everything needed for R1 conversion

So i’m not entirely sure what all is needed for the fork conversion i’ve looked around some people say you need r1 brakes and wheel and some are saying just forks and handlebars has anyone done this that knows what you need. also my bike has 72k miles instead of rebuilding my engine could i just engine swap an r1 motor with all the electronics, throttle bodies, etc i want a little better top end but like the seating of the fz1

I just did this upgrade. Here is what you need (all these parts are from a 2007/2008 R1):
  • R1 forks
  • R1 brake calipers
  • R1 front axle
  • R1 front brake rotors (get new bolts too because good chance your existing bolts will break when either removing them or putting them on)
  • R1 master cylinder (optional)
  • R1 (or compatible) brake lever (optional - only needed if you do the MC)
  • If you do the R1 MC, will probably want to get rebuild fit for it from allballsracing - the one I bought off eBay was totally seized and gummed up
Will also want to get yourself some new fork oil...since the forks will be out and you'll have no idea as to the condition of the fluid in whatever eBay R1 forks you buy, you'll want to be safe and change the fork fluid; may also want to do the seals as well (kits available from allballsracing)

I think that's everything

I just did this upgrade. Here is what you need (all these parts are from a 2007/2008 R1):
  • R1 forks
  • R1 brake calipers
  • R1 front axle
  • R1 front brake rotors (get new bolts too because good chance your existing bolts will break when either removing them or putting them on)
  • R1 master cylinder (optional)
  • R1 (or compatible) brake lever (optional - only needed if you do the MC)
  • If you do the R1 MC, will probably want to get rebuild fit for it from allballsracing - the one I bought off eBay was totally seized and gummed up
Will also want to get yourself some new fork oil...since the forks will be out and you'll have no idea as to the condition of the fluid in whatever eBay R1 forks you buy, you'll want to be safe and change the fork fluid; may also want to do the seals as well (kits available from allballsracing)

I think that's everything
Out of curiosity did the R1 triple tree just 'bolt in' ?

Tempting. I think im done working on the front of mine, i couldnt ask for anything more after doing the r1 master. That said, i am strangely migrating to a brand new bike. I might be selling the fz1 for a new mt09sp. I got 6 months to think it over.

Back