Exhaust help

FZ1joe

I recently purchased my 2009 FZ1 and would like some advice on the best slip on type exhaust to install. I would like to have a very loud bike with excellent sound. I have heard the Leo Vince EVOS GP style pipe with no DB killer sounds superb, but was looking for more advice from you all..... Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

I will guess that you are in your late teens or early twenties and mistake a lot of noise for performance. You'll see several cans on this site that people like such as MIVV, Akrapovic, Two Brothers etc,etc. If you want to set up correctly you'll need a pipe/can, PCIII or PCV and probably some time on a dyno if you really want to make sure you're getting the most out of your money spent. Be ware, some pipes can be really loud and if you want to give the local boys in blue a good reason to pull you over and ticket you, run one. Other wise, be smart take your time and get something you and your neighbors can live with. One reason most young people spend a lot more on insurance than the more experienced riders do is because we've already made the mistakes your are about to. Finally, plan to spend a grand for a good can and PCIII. If you don't have that, leave it stock for a while to get used to the new bike, it's not like you'll be out-riding it in it's stock condition.
:2cents:

Last edited:
The LeoVince isn't a bad idea... I've got a LeoVince slip-on my my Gen 1, and I love the sound... it's refined and well behaved down low, cruising around town... but when you get into the throttle a bit, it livens up.... Mine regrettably doesn't have a DB killer. I'd recommend riding around with the DB killer in around town, around the neighbors... etc... You profile says you're an Officer in the Marines.. I'm willing to bet the MP's wouldn't like loud exhaust too much... and you neighbors don't want to hear that thing firing up in the morning at 6am when you head in for PT.... So... the DB killer has a good purpose... and doesn't significantly hurt performance...

Get which ever can you prefer and your PC3 from Ivan's performance, then you can get one of his great PC3 maps for free, and then you won't have to fork out big dollars for a Dyno tune.
And yes his prices are very competitive.

Most slip-ons give similar performance, but if you want loud then yes the Leo Vince EVOS GP will do. As you can see it doesn't have much muffler volume so w/o the dbkiller it may become unbearable after a while.

Get which ever can you prefer and your PC3 from Ivan's performance, then you can get one of his great PC3 maps for free, and then you won't have to fork out big dollars for a Dyno tune.
And yes his prices are very competitive.

Buy the PCIII where ever you want.... there are links on here for every map you could ever want to download and install...

But... you don't just buy a PCIII, get a map, and you're done. You HAVE to get to a dyno if you want it done right. Each bike is different and needs to have a map designed just for it.... Just because you get a map from someone with similar mods doesn't mean it's the best for your bike... it might be a good base point, so you can save time once you hit the dyno, but it is not correct... I wouldn't buy a PCIII from someone just so I can get that person's map.... Download Duken's Map pack, and try all of the maps you want for free..

Hi Joe, and welcome.

I just dropped in to say that the advice in this thread is spot-on, good medicine. Pick the one you like to look at and listen to `cause performance will be very close among them all. Also, "loud" can be cool or obnoxious...depending upon how, when, and where you modulate the throttle. Sometimes, less is more! :poke:

Last edited:
Buy the PCIII where ever you want.... there are links on here for every map you could ever want to download and install...

But... you don't just buy a PCIII, get a map, and you're done. You HAVE to get to a dyno if you want it done right. Each bike is different and needs to have a map designed just for it.... Just because you get a map from someone with similar mods doesn't mean it's the best for your bike... it might be a good base point, so you can save time once you hit the dyno, but it is not correct... I wouldn't buy a PCIII from someone just so I can get that person's map.... Download Duken's Map pack, and try all of the maps you want for free..

Bikes are machines not people, if you have the same mods a good map for those mods should work very well in all of them.
I tried all the relevant maps in Duken's map pack, the Hybrid 2 felt the best, but Ivan's E map definitely feels better.
Not too many tuners have the experience that Ivan has with the FZ1, being that he actually owns one also.
He also has good equipment to go with his skills and experience.
You could get a custom map done and gain nothing or maybe 2%, it’s not worth 300 hard earned dollars to me.

Bikes are machines not people, if you have the same mods a good map for those mods should work very well in all of them.

You could get a custom map done and gain nothing or maybe 2%, it’s not worth 300 hard earned dollars to me.

Yes, perhaps a good map "should" work well in all of them. But they don't work well in all of them. Production variations have a way of adding up to a mechanical Bell Curve with most running well, a few running exceptionally well, and a few running poorly. It's a well understood statistical reality. A competent tuner can frequently create mapping that is superior to mass-production mapping because of these production variations.

Two percent gains? I've remapped several bikes with power gains easily exceeding 2%--some approaching 10% in certain areas of the powerband. Plus, how do you quantitatively measure throttle-response improvements? The "worth" of a custom map is directly related to the value one places upon a properly tuned engine. For some of us, $300 is a bargain.

Cheers!

I'd have to agree with Warbaby. There are a lot of maps out there available and with differing setups at the time the map was made, but I firmly believe that if we bought two identical bikes and identical mods, we'd end up with different maps in the end. As Warbaby stated, production nuances alone will throw off the curve. Now, take into consideration "elevation" as this plays a huge role in custome mapping. I live closer to sea level. My map isn't going to give someone living in Santa Fe or Denver a very happy bike as they are both a mile or more higher than I am.

To remain on topic though... I cannot speak for any FZ1 exhaust other than the Two Brothers as I've not heard any of the others yet. The Two Bros is 104 db at idle, 112 db at LEO tested RPM of 2800, and max db was 124. The sound of that can is a very deep and rich tone, a tone that tells those around you, this is no 250 rice-rocket. :D Due to NH law though, I was forced to quiet the bike and put in the smallest tip, the P4. There's a youtube video of the before and after on my bike.... [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i46siOOhG28]YouTube - FZ1 held back by the law[/ame]

Hope that helps...

I tried all the relevant maps in Duken's map pack, the Hybrid 2 felt the best, but Ivan's E map definitely feels better.
Not too many tuners have the experience that Ivan has with the FZ1, being that he actually owns one also.
He also has good equipment to go with his skills and experience.

No.

On many levels. ... #1 being that Ivan doesn't own a Gen II.... he has a Gen 1... So, you're sadly mistaken...#2... yeah... they're machines... and each one is different... tolerances are different, electrics are different.... if you think that 2 parts can be made exactly the same, you are sadly mistaken yet again.... Therefore each bike is different....

Bottom line, buy the exhaust you want, buy the PC3 from wherever it's cheapest... then take it to a professional tuner.... It's the only way to have things proper.

No.

On many levels. ... #1 being that Ivan doesn't own a Gen II.... he has a Gen 1... So, you're sadly mistaken...#2... yeah... they're machines... and each one is different... tolerances are different, electrics are different.... if you think that 2 parts can be made exactly the same, you are sadly mistaken yet again.... Therefore each bike is different....

Bottom line, buy the exhaust you want, buy the PC3 from wherever it's cheapest... then take it to a professional tuner.... It's the only way to have things proper.

Actually Ivan does own a Gen II...it's a silver '06. Seen it with my own two eyes in his shop. And his blue Gen I looks sweet :)

That just blows to have to quiet the exhaust like that -- was this from a recent inspection -- LEO stop, or just desensitizing for the long haul?

Adam

NH is having routine check points to gear everyone up for the big ticketing fest... this means, they are making it a public awareness campaign to get everyone to quiet their bikes or face a ticket at an unspecified time. Thus far, the stops they have been conducting are to issue warnings and educate the masses. But tickets are soon to follow.

So, I bought the tip and have it installed. It is rather quieted and is close to stock. I still get the benefits of the looks and the BIG weight reduction though.

And it will help on the MI run too because 1500 miles of loud pipes won't save my life. ;) I'd be half deaf after returning.

Actually Ivan does own a Gen II...it's a silver '06. Seen it with my own two eyes in his shop. And his blue Gen I looks sweet :)

well... that's a new one on me.... normally, whenever he wanted to do R&D on the Gen II... he would have to call in local customers...

whichever the case... the rest of my post still stands .... each machine is different... any map you download for someone else's bike... is just that... a map for someone else's bike.

I don't disagree with you about the maps. That's why I don't bother with them. Tried a few when I first got my PC V just for the hell of it, but none ran better than when I installed the AutoTune. I know the AutoTune has it's limitations, but so far I am happy with the results. If I'm leaving a few HP on the table then so be it. It's got way more HP than I'll ever need for the street.

Last edited:
I'm going to admit here and now, if I get the PC V, I plan on having the bike tuned for cleaner burning and the best MPG I can get out of it. It'll still have more ponies than I can use up regardless!

I'm going to admit here and now, if I get the PC V, I plan on having the bike tuned for cleaner burning and the best MPG I can get out of it. It'll still have more ponies than I can use up regardless!

When I get a chance I am going to play with the target A/F ratio tables for the AutoTune. I am going to lean out the 4-6k RPM range to see how much of a difference it makes in the MPG.

Back