Exhaust Pops @ low rpms

Hello all,

Brand new here and happy to find this site. I have a 2001 FZ1 that pops out the exhaust slightly when taking off from a stop or shifting and ending up starting at the bottom of the tach. Just 2 or 3 pops then it runs normally in the rest of the RPM range. I have 38,000 on her and had a valve adjustment / check at the recommended interval (20,000 I think?). I did the plugs a while back and when I pulled the easy one to get to it looks fine. Gap was set to .028 when installed and I am at .029 currently. Changed the air filter but it didn't need it. I am kinda stumped as to the cause. The carb boots have very light cracking but i believe they are fine. I did disable the AIS years ago if it matters. Would appreciate any input. Thanks very much.

Last edited:
Welcome,

All stock? No after market exhaust? Choke's fully off? Check in front of the carbs not the handle bar to besure its fully retracted. Has it been sitting? Your AIS is gone plug checking's easy, so go ahead and check the other two plugs. Problem wouldn't be the plugs themselves but might be the coil 2/3 or the plug caps.

Is the EXUP adjusted per the manual, you should see it or hear it cycle when you first turn the key.

If these issues are all ok then the fact that it runs well above the problem rpm would lead me to try a fuel treatment like SeaFoam before messing with carbs.

Sounds like you're on the right track. I'm no expert but the fact that it happens off idle under load makes me think it's pilot jet related. When was the last time you had the carbs cleaned? Like isleofman says above, try seafoam, if your carbs aren't too gummed up it's worth a shot.

Back