EXUP Valve

I bought my 2005 FZ1 used. The previous owner removed the EXUP valve and installed a Yosh TRC slip on. I was discussing possible modifications with someone and they said I might want to consider reinstalling the valve for increased low end power. Two questions, is this good information? If so, does anyone still have the stock components that they have removed from their Gen 1 that they would be willing to part with? Thanks in advance!

I bought my 2005 FZ1 used. The previous owner removed the EXUP valve and installed a Yosh TRC slip on. I was discussing possible modifications with someone and they said I might want to consider reinstalling the valve for increased low end power. Two questions, is this good information? If so, does anyone still have the stock components that they have removed from their Gen 1 that they would be willing to part with? Thanks in advance!

I would most certainly reinstall the EXUP valve. You will notice better throttle response and more torque in the low end. I guess what you really need to determine is what else is missing. There's the EXUP valve that fits into the exhaust, the cables that actuate it and the actual servo motor. Gen I FZ1 ('01-'05) components are all interchangeable. Also early R1 ('98-'01) EXUP valve will work, but not sure about the cables since I think those are shorter than the FZ1.

Fortunately I work at a Yamaha dealership so I have access to all of the parts diagrams, service techs and manuals. I know I would pretty much need every component.

Fortunately I work at a Yamaha dealership so I have access to all of the parts diagrams, service techs and manuals. I know I would pretty much need every component.

Well have you actually verified to see if the servo motor is still there? I suspect that it is or you would be getting the fault code (tach needle jumping to a certain RPM and then back down to actual RPM). You might get lucky and have the servo cables in place as well.

Only down side I can see to putting EXUP back on is that at some point it will "clank" at idle-ish rpm's.

Otherwise, we've done several mods to our 2005 FZ1 (Holeshot hi-pipe, carb kit, timing advance, etc.) and have left that in place.

Only down side I can see to putting EXUP back on is that at some point it will "clank" at idle-ish rpm's.

The clanking usually indicates that the cables are not adjusted properly or that the bushing on either end of it is worn (however that is rare). In my experience it's usually the cables that need adjusting.

Otherwise, we've done several mods to our 2005 FZ1 (Holeshot hi-pipe, carb kit, timing advance, etc.) and have left that in place.

I have the 05 fz1 and have some questions it's so hard to find forms and people who actually know what the hell they are talking about, [email protected] hit me up sometime man I'd love to talk to someone who's been there and done the things I'm looking to do with my bike

Back