Filtering Fuel

:thinking: After removing the tank to change to retro, I cleaned the old one and oiled the inside. After only 3000km there were large rust flakes inside (2-3mm). These obviously came from the Fuel Stations tanks. With most vehicles these days being EFI, a lot of problems they have are fuel pump related. Anybody know of a product or way to routinely filter the fuel at a pump?

:thinking: After removing the tank to change to retro, I cleaned the old one and oiled the inside. After only 3000km there were large rust flakes inside (2-3mm). These obviously came from the Fuel Stations tanks. With most vehicles these days being EFI, a lot of problems they have are fuel pump related. Anybody know of a product or way to routinely filter the fuel at a pump?

Well that's certainly not good, but the filter should easily be able to stop particles that size. Worst that will happen is that you'll have to change the filter more often. And I agree...try a different gas station.

Also agree. If you are getting any sediment at all from a gas station, you should report it but try and filter it into a 5 gallon can first to prove it is them? Most storage tanks and lines these days have been replaced (up here) with fiberglass and rubber. :tup:

Try taking the old tank to someone who has a scope camera and peering inside too. Maybe your tank is rusting? It would obviously be the very top or the very bottom. Do you often keep your tank less than half full? Just some questions out of curiosity. ;)

Last edited:
Thats the big problem, where did I pick up the crap? Fuel up all over the place as the range is not great on these things. I also feel it might be a little more common in Australia than people think.

Hmmm, think I might syphon my tank when I get home and check it, then put some fresh fuel in before starting as it will have been 6 months since last started... may even get a new fuel filter...

Hmmm, think I might syphon my tank when I get home and check it, then put some fresh fuel in before starting as it will have been 6 months since last started... may even get a new fuel filter...

I believe the filter is inside the tank directly attached to the fuel pump on the Gen II.Can anyone verify this as I have never seen a filter when I've had my tank off. And I'm not even sure you can replace it. I can't find a part number for the fuel filter...

Been thinking about it. I have one new fuel station in town I'll try to use that one as much as possible. Still have lots of older ones around that sometimes I'll have to use though when out riding. I worked "Pumping Gas" as a kid and the only thing that ever got checked was the calibration on the pumps and that was rarely done. It would be nice to think they would filter the fuel here but I feel that would be viewed as an unnecessary cost.

Sorry to resurect this post but found something

:thinking:Searching around and found these

HOME

Someone else has seen the problem with our crappy fuel and found a solution. Unfortunately only for dirt bikes at the moment but I've got my thinking cap on and will be checking my spare tank to see if I can come up with an application for our tanks.

Back