Finally Converted to FZ1R-N!

My crash couple of weeks back prompted me to finally convert after having the kit for more than a year. Did the 08 R1 frontend conversion at the same time.

Superglued my front fender for now and tail handle is still broken.

5234981783_fda308d26e_b.jpg

Wiring mess due to heated grips and power outlet

5234543839_849d0647bc_b.jpg

5235596900_81f006290b_b.jpg

Also expanded the airbox mod:

5235153534_3b1ef4cdda_b.jpg

5235153724_d37afa5506_b.jpg

From this:

4691041240_d5a675a497_b.jpg

4690407761_a4460278c7_b.jpg

Through this:

5198825838_4813732c91_b.jpg

5198825930_caae9daa80_b.jpg

5198826014_0a86d6f2a1_b.jpg

5198231595_244c3bf4c1_b.jpg

To this:

5235574716_cfcbb7d41a_b.jpg

Yours truly:

5248042924_662b81ff8f_b.jpg

5235596306_7b835ea844_b.jpg

5235023201_29995e6524_b.jpg

5235022769_6a14ce8d62_b.jpg

Improvised the radiator side covers by flipping them on the same side. I haven't seen them done like this before. IMO they flow better this way:

5235574984_2f31ace824_b.jpg

5234544195_7e0ac1a340_b.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good .........you going for red n black theme??

Thanks! Yeah, been trying to do that since the start since I like the trans red stripes on the tank more than the gold forks. I inverted the tank stripes and put them on the tail too. Steering damper is still gold though but who cares. I am fine with the more functional part.

4690407761_a4460278c7_b.jpg

WOW!..looks really good what exhaust is that?

Micron Full System. See pic above.

Looking good. I guess everything happens for a reason. Had a chance to ride it yet to see how you like it?

Yeah, love it! Bike feels a lot smaller. I have to curb the temptation to wheelie it every now and then. Feels nimble.

Lookin' good! :shine:

Have you had a chance to take it for a spin? I'm curious to hear what you think about the fork and the brakes.

Haven't had a chance to test out the frontend though since it is almost end of riding season here to get any hard riding done. The forks were the same length as stock. I had read that they were like 15-17 mm shorter.

Will get some pics today in the sun. Freaking snowed in the morning.

Last edited:
That's looking VERY sweet! If I ever have the spare coin, I'm going to order that kit and convert to the N. Unsure about a fork swap yet. I want to try better springs and slightly heavier oil first.

I like it!! :tup:

That's looking VERY sweet! If I ever have the spare coin, I'm going to order that kit and convert to the N. Unsure about a fork swap yet. I want to try better springs and slightly heavier oil first.

I like it!! :tup:

R1 forks are stiffer. You can break even by selling your stockers and get 6-piston brakes too. Still the brakes need to bed in so they are improving slowly. Very linear action though instead of the jerky stock. Though the stockers improved a lot with the SS lines.

And the pics show the good side. Left side has the tail handle broken and sliders smashed.

I will update my OP with some fresh pics in the sun.

Last edited:
R1 forks are stiffer. You can break even by selling your stockers and get 6-piston brakes too. Still the brakes need to bed in so they are improving slowly. Very linear action though instead of the jerky stock. Though the stockers improved a lot with the SS lines.

Thanks! If I do go that route, I am likely to keep all the stock parts though. ;) Always want to option to return it to stock because we can never revocer the costs os mods when they are on the bike for sale.

Good information to know!! I'm going to ask for all SS lines for next Father's day. I'm looking at the springs and oil before next season. And trying to get a rear shock for my birthday (tough with a birthday being so close to Christmas though!)

1) Discard the euro harness. Use the stocker but shove it into the frame under the airbox and below the tank as much as possible.
2) They don't come with LEDs. If you want them to work as both markers as well as signals connect their +ve to the stock signal wire and -ve to the stock marker wire. If you already have LEDs in place of stockers, they may behave funky - with my F/R Protons one side kept blinking even with turn switch off. I prefered the pod lights not to blink so I just used them as markers only.

Just plan on spending a lot of time testing out steering clearances, wire slacks. Hide as much of the wiring from the rear of the light to the back of the frame without disrupting the airflow. I had a ton of wiring especially due to HIDs, heated grips, power outlet which I velcroed to the frame inside rails.

Once you have the fairing apart most of your questions will get answered. I had to remove my headlight 2-3 times to get the wiring perfect to my liking. Otherwise plan on extending a lot of wiring if you want them to work without fuss.

And the pics show the good side. Left side has the tail handle broken and sliders smashed.

I will update my OP with some fresh pics in the sun.

Man that is great news to hear they are the same length. Is the difference like going from the FZ6 forks to R6 forks?

Here's the key question...did R1 forks every come in gold? I can't kill the "Iron Man" look you know.

**Edit** Found a complete '07 Iron Man front end. I see a new project in my future.

Last edited:
I think they have been available both in black and gold for most years depending upon the bike color.

Yeah, I was surprised to see that they are the same length too. I always heard even the newer 07+ are shorter.

I am yet to test them out till I can form a opinion about them if they really feel like night and day as in case of FZ6->R6. IMO the stock FZ1 forks are pretty good. Only issue is getting the perfect balance between the compression and rebound as if you adjust one it does affect the other. I thought I had the perfect balance but then they used to work well only when temperatures were hot. In colder conditions they used to run a bit wide in corners. Combination of the oil and the funky comp/reb adjustments I think. As Lee mentioned they have a larger dead zone too meaning they need to travel enough distance in order to create damping.

Last edited:
Man that is great news to hear they are the same length. Is the difference like going from the FZ6 forks to R6 forks?

Here's the key question...did R1 forks every come in gold? I can't kill the "Iron Man" look you know.

**Edit** Found a complete '07 Iron Man front end. I see a new project in my future.

Spoiler Alert: With the 6-piston calipers on the 07+ forks you will require 5mm spacers that need to be press-fitted into them. I got the CBR1000 spacers. A big PITA is removing the stock inner sleeves from them. My friend Kelly came up with this idea: We used a large screw driver and another one horizontally to leverage the other one and pushed the spacers out. Worked out well without using stupid amount of heat or any other techniques like using a tap/bolt or vise grips. They would just rotate using vise grips but wouldn't come out though.

5237238342_304f2a67f7_b.jpg

5236645553_9fce896a23_b.jpg

5237238300_753c777da1_b.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice work! :tup:

I really like the look of the N. Congrats but sorry it had to happen that way. The end result is worth it though. :D

hi, ur bike looks nice, better as the N version, what make is the belly pan,because there is a few different makes in the uk but they don't look as good as that

Back