First Race wknd - TWS

Well, I didn't crash over friday practice sessions and 2 races on Sunday. (considering the weather - windy - and that MANY crashes happened in turn 9, I'm satisfied)

For my first time at TWS, I got a best lap of 2:04. Which puts me ahead of a few racers, but much room to improve. (20th - a slower 2:07 and 13th places for my class). Still learning the track, but was having a blast toward the end of the day!

I may have a few pics on the way.

Those who've ridden TWS, is 2:04 decent for first time or just real slow?

Here is #34 in the flesh for an endurance team race on Sat. Yep - it's 93 motoGP world champion and Austin resident Kevin Schwantz. Great guy.

BTW, his team included Blake Young. The had some mechanical issues, but it was great to see them out there!

Here is #34 in the flesh for an endurance team race on Sat. Yep - it's 93 motoGP world champion and Austin resident Kevin Schwantz. Great guy.

BTW, his team included Blake Young. The had some mechanical issues, but it was great to see them out there!

Man! I wished I lived out there. I need his autograph for my Limited Edition Watercolor Print! You Texans are so friggin lucky!!!

2:04 is great for a novice racer and just learning the track.

In group B track day I'll begin the day in the 2:20 to 2:15 range and work into the 2:01 to 2:05 range. Some days I don't get into the 2:05's.

2:04 is really good. You'll get faster before you know it.

I agree with Pete. You are doing awesome!

What do you attribute to the wrecks out at TWS on 9? Most of the times I have been out there for corner work all the wrecks are at 3 & 10.

Awesome Frank!

CMRA Official :: Sprint Results.Class

13867d1364420712-first-race-wknd-tws-capture.jpg

13867d1364420967-first-race-wknd-tws-capture.jpg

Last edited:

I'm just waiting for the "position nazi's" to come out and blast Kevin.

"Well you know that position is terrible and if he put his head lower he would go 100mph faster..." Now I've never ridden a bike on the track, and I've never ridden a bike on the track in a crowd, but I've got the interweb..."

Last edited:
Well, for some reason turn 9 was catching people. IT was in the high 40's and over 25mph gusts of wind -approximately. (you can see how over our tire warmers we placed jackets and covers to keep the wind from whipping thru and cooling off our rims before going out!) So, the most likely explanation is that racers took that off-camber #9 turn "OFF" the throttle and it is a right hander (so that side of tire was colder due to most left handers on the track.....). Basically, in my mind not using the throttle in a turn is asking for trouble anytime. I only used the brake in turn 3 and 10 (horseshoe) and heard some experts saying as much. Then (previously) on Sat I had see from my cornerworking position on turn 8 how Kevin and others just rolled the throttle all the way up into the horseshoe - hard late braking and passing people on the brakes.

I heard there were 23 riders crash in turn 9.......some very skilled riders. But the most common theme was they were "taking it easy" and off the throttle while leaning. That was mostly in the 2 morning practice sessions.

I had no such problem and no loss of traction. I waited and only went out in the 2nd practice to let some rubber get laid down (and I had practiced on Friday allready). I was running Michelin Power Cups soft front and "C" 190/55 rear with 31 and 22 psi, respectively. I was on the throttle all the way from turn 3 until braking in the horseshoe -10. At racetime, I had already made up my mind to brake less. So, I had already visualized going around the track smootly, despite the weather conditions...

At least you can control the bike better under wind gusting, precipitation, etc. when you use the throttle smoothly and maybe they also panicked with their inputs...........not used to being out in strong wind?? Or used brake at wrong position and tucked the front?

Last edited:
I'm just waiting for the "position nazi's" to come out and blast Kevin.

"Well you know that position is terrible and if he put his head lower he would go 100mph faster..." Now I've never ridden a bike on the track, and I've never ridden a bike on the track in a crowd, but I've got the interweb..."

He was so smooth and was passing people everywhere. Blake Young too. But Kevin is unique in style. Their bike (GSXR 750, I think) had problems and the rest of their 4 man team didn't perform as expected, but they looked to be enjoying the 8 hours of Texas endurance!!

I've met Kevin previously and he is one cool guy. Super friendly.

BTW, this is for you Pete: The winning team rode an R6 :D :D

Man! I wished I lived out there. I need his autograph for my Limited Edition Watercolor Print! You Texans are so friggin lucky!!!

Billy, he was signing everybody's stuff....t-shirts, gas tanks, whatever. He genuinely loves motorcycles and racing. I almost bought a race bike from him.

He is doing a school down here in San Marcos (Harris Hill) for $1800 this spring ;) and also I think another school at Indy around motoGP time.

Billy, he was signing everybody's stuff....t-shirts, gas tanks, whatever. He genuinely loves motorcycles and racing. I almost bought a race bike from him.

He is doing a school down here in San Marcos (Harris Hill) for $1800 this spring ;) and also I think another school at Indy around motoGP time.

Oh thats it!! Make me feel even better now!!:cry: LOL! I may box it up with return postage on it and send it to him with a letter and see if he sends it back to me. I have heard of people doing that and they get their stuff back signed.:tup:

ha ha!! No man.

We ain't buds like that. I met him when I went to look at a race bike - and he ended up being the owner!! Then I saw him at the track. But everyone walks up to him and he is extremely approachable. Just a genuine person. No fake entitlement like some out there.....

Just wanted to pass along the opportunities to see him from the racing board ;)

Back