Flies partially open?

Chandler

I just took my airbox off to get to the ECU. I noticed my flies are open a little. Last time I had the air box off they were closed. Does anyone else know of any similar issues? I am curious to know if my flies are stuck. If they were, I feel like I would notice a lack of air in some RPM ranges so I don't think that is the case. maybe the servo is messed up? Also I noted the stacks had a tacky film on them and on the flies (Assuming into the injectors as well). What is this caused by? I haven't let bad fuel sit in it and in any case is the air box not an old dirt carb.

The servo cables that connect to the exhaust are disconnected because I put on a cheap slip on. Is that related?

Thanks!

11047de0cc.jpg

Has your ECU been flashed? I noticed mine chattering a little after the ECU was flashed and they stayed open a little like yours.
I'm not too worried about it as the bike runs fine.

Last edited:
No it is not flashed. I just removed it to get a flash though.

I turned on the ignition thinking they would cycle, they did not move. I did not start the bike as I did not have the tank or sensors on. I attempted to hand turn the servo - no luck with that. I didn't want to cause any damage so I did not try with excessive force. I would just remove them and not worry about it - but I don't want a flat spot in the 4-5K RPM range like everyone reports, and I don't plan on getting a PC.

No it is not flashed. I just removed it to get a flash though.

I turned on the ignition thinking they would cycle, they did not move. I did not start the bike as I did not have the tank or sensors on. I attempted to hand turn the servo - no luck with that. I didn't want to cause any damage so I did not try with excessive force. I would just remove them and not worry about it - but I don't want a flat spot in the 4-5K RPM range like everyone reports, and I don't plan on getting a PC.

You have a seized sub-throttle shaft and will need to either fix it or get new throttle bodies... Most likely the sub-throttle motor is burned out as well.

Ivan

I just got my ecu back from being flashed. I turned the motor over myself by hand and then turned the ignition on. The flies cycled shut. I guess they were just stuck open or didn't cycle on the atock flash?

Oh well, they are not broken.

That's lucky.

Which flash did you get? Have you ridden the bike yet?

Sent from my Nexus 5

I just popped the ECU in last night. It has been raining the past few days so not I haven't ridden it.
I am also hard-wiring a QI charger and gopro charger while the tank is off. - Oh, and I am waiting for a new air filter in the mail - so I haven't bolted everything back up.
When the air-filter is on I will fire it up.

I got the flash from: 2006-14 FZ1 custom flash - FLASHED BY VCYCLENUT

At the time I was referred to it, the flash was $50.00, It is now 80. We will see if it is worth it's weight. I believe it has better throttle response or so I hear. I really just wanted it to remove any restrictions in the low end (i believe he modified some flies position stuff), fix my speedo without needing a piggy back, and make adjustments for the decel non-sense (I have a slip on exhaust). Even if I don't like it and it fixes the speedo, I am will be happy for $80.00.

We emailed back and forth. The guy is very friendly and responsive. I will vouch for character, and hopefully shortly after his product. I don't believe it is a complicated flash if you have the tools to flash it, but it does take lots of time to make some adjustments to keep the bike smooth throughout and fix small pesky issues the way you want them. That being said, $350-500 bucks for hardware plus 40+ hours of time can't compete with an $80.00 flash.

^^I MO

Back