Fog City Hyperoptix shield insert

0000_Fog_City_Hyper_Optiks_Visor_Inserts_Mint_Green.jpg

Fog City Hyper Optiks Visor Inserts - Street Bike - Men's Riding Gear - Motorcycle Superstore

Well, I've been tossing around the idea of picking one of these up for about... 3 years... I saw one on eBay for $20.00 so, I went ahead and picked one up. It came in today... An insert that changed tint with different sunlight conditions really appealed to me... when I ride, I many times stay out till it's getting dark... carrying an extra shield is a hassle, and since I wear glasses, sunglasses aren't an option... unless I got a prescription set... but then I'd have to carry an extra set of glasses....

Installation
So... first off, it comes with a nice little template thingie to place on the outside of your shield while it's still on the helmet.... so, it easy to find center of your shield and place the template, which in addition to center, gives you a line for the height of the insert.... You clean the insert, making sure that the side that will be facing the shield is exceptionally clean... and finger prints on it, they'll be there forever. After you get that side clean, you remove the shield from the helmet and make sure that the inside of the shield is nice and clean. After everything is clean and dry, remove the backing from the adhesive on the insert... Then bend the insert into a "U" shape and get the center of the insert set on the center line and top line of the shield....After that's set, work towards the outsides of the insert, pressing it down firmly. Then re-install shield, and you're ready to go.

How it works.
In a word, AWESOME. The insert has a slight green tint to it when it's not too sunny. It makes contrast really great and it's easy to see what's going on... Once you get into a sunny area, the insert turns blue... not uncomfortably blue... it kind of makes everything look like a somewhat overcast day... For me, it's GREAT.... No carrying an extra shield... no carrying extra glasses... it works very well for my needs... it blocks UV rays... just to make sure, against better judgement, I didn't put on sunscreen when I went out today... and no sunburn on my face... neck, yes... face, no... guess I should have put some sunscreen on... but, can't say enough good things about the insert... as an added bonus, it also makes your shield fog-free, long after the fog-free coating has worn off of my Scorpion shield... Compared to the price of a new shield for the Scorpion... a clear with coating for fog... and a tinted with coating... the insert is a great deal... even at full retail cost.

A version is also available with spots for shield posts.

I've been using the standard Fog City shield om my HJC helmets, and have never had any condens issues. As I've got a build in solarvisor I've opted for the transparant one, but reading your wow-comment, I'll be looking to get one for my system helmet (without inbuild solar visor)

I'm going to have to retract my positive review on this insert... here's why..

it stopped working.

After 6 months of use, I noticed that the insert really didn't get as dark as it used to... then, it just stopped changing colors all together....

There were always some problems with it at night, with dual layers in the shield, lights at night would give odd reflections between the shield and the insert....

Also, when not darkened, the insert had a green tint to it, making everything look a little odd...

The final straw was a combination of my helmet and the insert... the top seal on my Scorpion EXO 400 has completely given up... so whenever I get caught in the rain, water pours down the inside of the shield... making it impossible to see... well, this weekend while riding in the rain, the glue on the top of the insert also crapped out, which allowed water to flow between the shield and the insert... however, the glue on the bottom of the insert was still holding.... so... It was like was looking through a fishbowl...

So.. insert came out and got thrown away... luckily, the glue wiped off the inside of the shield with just a little Plexus... and I was good to ride again.... but still getting caught in the rain, water was still pouring down the inside of the shield.... so... I ordered a new Shoei X11 this morning....

I've heard of those things having stopped changing after a while. Thats why I'm going with this setup. I too sometimes ride out when it's dark out when I leave and bright when I'm coming home and visa versa. With this setup you charge the shield with your USB port on your PC or laptop and your good for a week or so. My eyes are very sensitive to light more so as I have gotten older and I'm tired of having to bring out two shields everywhere I go.

Check it out:
Welcome to e-Tint Products

holy crap Billy... I might have to look into one of those....

Yeah, I'm about 50 bucks from getting the "smoked" version. For me, it's a must if I don't want to be hampered carrying a backpack everyday. Sometimes I just want to take my wallet and camera and go have a good time. This will allow me to do just that. And it's nice just to have to push a button and have the tint on.

Back