Fram oil filters: Beware

I am posting today to show you all a warning that was sent to me by another FZ1 owner (the friend I sold my original 2004 FZ1 to) regarding fram oil filters. I don't know about the rest of you but I have long been under the impression that that fram was one of the good guys, what with their huge involvement in organized motorracing, etc. I was shocked to see that fram makes one the single most deadly (for bikes and potentially for riders) products on the market. But it gets worse, the same company is also the contracted supplier of some oil filters under the Yamaha name brand, yes, they make the same exact filter and paint it a different color so that the dealers can sell it at a high mark up to us! This companies filters are soooooo bad in fact, that the AMA - American Motorcycle Association has banned them from use on any of it's tracks or at any of it's sanctioned events. I just tossed two of the bastards in the trash, and went out and bought two Wix replacements.
Here is one of the links to this nightmare of a story:PWCToday.com - Oil filter replacement

If you go to this guys home page: OIL FILTERS EXPOSED! - Introduction

Please read what Tody Creek has written, I think this guy is onto something very important and that we as comsumers should be made aware of. After reading the guys site top to bottom, I really got the feeling that this was no bullsheeeit, and that he had no axe to grind with anyone, but that he just wanted to be informed about faulty products before they ruin an engine. I can not say in strong enought words how pissed and dismayed at Fram I am, but how grateful for the information from Toby. :eek:

Last edited:
after reading that and other posts, found Mobil 1 filters at Autozone for less then $5.50 a pop. Think i will run that and change oil very often.
good article though.

Purolator PureOne filters are supposed to be very, very good--as good as Mobil 1 filter (Both use a synthetic filter media).

Plus, the filter from a Honda Pilot (3.5 liter) will fit the Gen II FZ1 perfectly! (yes, it is .75 inches longer than the stock Yamaha filter, but it clears the exhaust with plenty to spare; plus, PureOne has a shorter filter, but I don't know the number)

They have them on sale at Amazon for $4.50 each, plus free shipping if you buy $25 worth.

Last edited:
If it's true that they also make filters for Yamaha, how do you know which is which? WIX filters are great filters. I think NAPA stocks the WIX. What is the model number for the WIX filter for 01-05 FZ1's ? Billy.

Back