Frame cracked on 07 FZ1. What should I do??

At the end of last summer I bought a 2007 Yamaha fz1 and it had been laid down as there are some visible scrapes on the plastics. Besides that the bike runs very well and no other issues and I have not laid it down since I bought it. I just got a new front tire and while putting it on I noticed a frame is cracked on the manufacturers weld on the right side just below the tank. Riding season is right around the corner for Indiana and I just want to be able to ride especially with these gas prices. What should I do? Talk to welders to try and repair? See if Yamaha will do anything because I’ve read that this is a manufacturing flaw. Any advice will help.

There are lengthy discussions on the FZ1OA Forum about the crack issues. Technically, yes, it does appear to be a manufacturing defect in the 2006 and 2007 models. Some of the members there had good luck getting theirs fixed, and some didn't. One of the more recent posts I found was to start calling dealers and try to find one that will go to bat for you and get a frame replacement. With the right support, that may work, but it likely won't be fast. I don't know how the response will change, knowing that the bike is now 15 years old and it has been down.
Perhaps Yamaha may still fix it, but I think you may have to push it hard. Getting the weld redone may be tricky. You'll want a welder that really knows his stuff.
I wish you the best... sorry I didn't have a better answer!

A really good welder I know offered to weld it up and beef it up, for 150$ if I tore it down to the frame and delivered it. Haven't gotten around to it, but we had a mild winter and I rode to much to do it.

At this point I would not have any hope that Yamaha will touch it, especially since it was laid down.

But you should be able to get a local welder to fix it.

Thanks for the replies guys. I thought since the bike is getting pretty old Yamaha wouldn’t do too much. My friend knows how to weld and I showed him the crack and he said it would be no problem. This seems like a fast and safe option so I’ll be able to get on the road. If I have anymore troubles I may buy a new frame or talk to Yamaha.

Thanks for the replies guys. I thought since the bike is getting pretty old Yamaha wouldn’t do too much. My friend knows how to weld and I showed him the crack and he said it would be no problem. This seems like a fast and safe option so I’ll be able to get on the road. If I have anymore troubles I may buy a new frame or talk to Yamaha.
If you can share with us some before and after pics please.

My friend knows how to weld and I showed him the crack and he said it would be no problem. This seems like a fast and safe option so I’ll be able to get on the road. If I have anymore troubles I may buy a new frame or talk to Yamaha.

Just my two cents, your litterly trusting your life to this friend. Just make sure your friend is a welder. Not just some guy with a welder. Its an aluminum frame, a regular wire welder (the tool) will not safely repair this problem.

Also, the crack can be on the inside of the frame, if you pull the tank you can inspect it pretty good to make sure it's just the crack your seeing.

Back