Front area, "clicking" engine noise. FZ1

Hello from Romania, and happy to post here for the first time. I just bought my FZ1 Fazer '07 with 49k kms and now we re getting on to know each other better. I can see that I bought a 5 valves per cilinder. I also saw a lot of videos with cold and hot engine start ups and 85% did the same very fast"clicking" front engine area noises. I suppose it s because of the valves? Because they are 20 and not 16 as other inline4 engines. I owned a Honda Hornet for 2 years and I cannot remember engine noises at all, not because at Honda were not, just because I didn t realise them. Can you please tell me what s that clicking noise, first of all, it s not a camchain noise or some fork, front caliper issues, it s like coming from behind the exhaust downpipe in front of the bike...I just want to know what s that noise exactly :) Thank you.

Welcome to one of the best, smallest forums on the web! I'm a relatively new FZ owner as well, coming from a CBR F4i and my FZ sounds very much like my F4i at idle, the extra valves notwithstanding. You might check for any leaks coming from the downpipe as that can often cause that sound...

I already checked , the downpipe itself have no fissures or holes and the pipe flanges are strongly torqued, no chance in my case for noise from the exhaust. I cannot upload a video with that fast clicking sound..I m almost 99% that sound comes with every motorcycle engine, and I just don t realise it. But I want to know where that s coming from. Pffff. Some people told that they are normal valve sounds...

You are welcome!

Do you know if a valve check was done at 42k km by chance? That is when it is due for one and, because the clearances tighten, you really can't tell just from listening. It could be totally fine but is something you should know for sure, either way.

You probably need a Valve shimmed.

I have a gen 1 (2003) and I started getting the clicking from a valve around 66k miles. I think the manual suggests a check every 30k miles?

Anyway, I took mine to the shop and had them do it - the bike needed 1 shim. I now have 137k miles on it and no clicking since then. This engine is a masterpiece and stays within spec really well. If you have not had the valve shims checked it is worth doing with the mileage you have on it.

probably, i don t know any infos from the previous owners. I saw in the manual that every 40k you need to see the valves...I think i m gonna do that in couple of timejust to be sure.

Yeah, that's one of those big, intimidating jobs that folks don't do because there are often no noticeable symptoms.

If I can do it, most anyone can! I always plan on a job taking 2-3 times longer than anyone else says it will take and, invariably, I encounter something that no one, in the history of the internet, has ever encountered before... Lol!

I have an '08 FZ1 That I bought thus past summer with 6700 miles on it. I know I got an awsome deal on an awsome bike. When I got it, it was quiet, no clicking noise. I took it to the dealer for an oil change and to have it looked-over. They switched from full Synthetic to conventional Mobil Bike Oil. When I picked it up I instantly noticed the same noise you are describing. Sounded like my valves were knocking. This spring I will be switching back to full Synthetic after researching which oil is best. That might be the issue your having as well.

I have an '08 FZ1 That I bought thus past summer with 6700 miles on it. I know I got an awsome deal on an awsome bike. When I got it, it was quiet, no clicking noise. I took it to the dealer for an oil change and to have it looked-over. They switched from full Synthetic to conventional Mobil Bike Oil. When I picked it up I instantly noticed the same noise you are describing. Sounded like my valves were knocking. This spring I will be switching back to full Synthetic after researching which oil is best. That might be the issue your having as well.
I have only ever run full synth and the clicking in mine was due to a single valve needing a single shim.

I have only ever run full synth and the clicking in mine was due to a single valve needing a single shim.
Right now, I have around 11,000 miles on it. I read that you need to check the valves at 15,000 miles on most street bikes. Is this the case with the FZ1? I read somewhere that these engines don't necessarily need this done until around 20,000 miles. I don't ride too hard, or beat on my bike. I'm 53, so I tend to take it a little easier than I did when I was in my 20's and 30's, LOL. Also I have the ECU Flashed, Yoshi exhaust, 3 inch STACKS on my intake, and I cut-out the bottom of my Air Box to allow more air in.
Would attach a oic, but not sure how on this Thread.

Right now, I have around 11,000 miles on it. I read that you need to check the valves at 15,000 miles on most street bikes. Is this the case with the FZ1? I read somewhere that these engines don't necessarily need this done until around 20,000 miles. I don't ride too hard, or beat on my bike. I'm 53, so I tend to take it a little easier than I did when I was in my 20's and 30's, LOL. Also I have the ECU Flashed, Yoshi exhaust, 3 inch STACKS on my intake, and I cut-out the bottom of my Air Box to allow more air in.
I have a Gen 1 (2003) that I bought with 39k on the clock, I did not notice any clicking until 83k - two shims were moved and one replaced according to my notes. Bike has over 126k on it now with no more adjustments needed so far.

You can most certainly take the top end off to check them or have the shop do it, but the tolerances are very tight on these motors so you are probably good for a while on such a low mileage bike.

One of the BIG reasons I bought mine is because of the valve check intervals - service manual says it's only needed every 26k miles.

Back