front seat wont fit

shodan

I have a 2008 FZ1. This has got to be so simple but I just cant get the front seat to fit forward under the bracket by the tank hinge so that I can lock it down..
Has anyone had this problem.
I've had the seat off many times.
I spent over an hour checking to see if something was in the way.
I'm stopping by the area dealer to look at another one.

BUMP...

I also have a 2008 with the Yamaha gel seat and have the exact same problem. I don't know if it was like this before since I bought the bike used.

I can't for the life of me get that tab on the seat base to go under the slot. For now I have it resting on top of it, but I don't think it's secure enough. I've tried and tried but it just won't go all the way forward to get the rear tab to lock...

It looks as if the seat was molded incorrectly and the hook/front tab should extend down a little more. I'm going to fiddle with it later and compare it to the stock seat. I have thought about trying to bend it down or even take a file to it...

I'll take some pics later when I get home...

I believe the nose of the gel seat has more material and a different profile, so you have to line it up, push down on the front center of the seat, then slam it forward. The rear will still be a little hard to latch but push both forward and down on the rear of the seat once the front is in properly.

The Top Saddlery was the same way until it finally settled in and shaped itself to what it is supposed to be. Now it's hardly a problem.

Eric was right, the gel seats have a little more material and all you really need to do is give a little exrtra down pressure when getting the seat on and it will side under the tange in front. Now after I've had my gel for a couple years it takes less effort to get it in place.

I was having a hellova time getting my re-foamed an skinned stock seat to go back on today. The advice above helped me get it back on. I did the following:

1.) Bent the "tab" on the seat down a bit with a pair of pliers (gently)
2.) Got the tab in the slot, got it lined up, then gave it a whack down in the center. 3.) Slid it up and clicked it in
4.) Was glad.

Thanks gang!

If the seat is ever put in place with the plastic front insert OVER the metal support, instead of UNDER it, then it gets bent upward, especially if you sit on it. When this occurrs, then it really will not fit below the metal support. As others have said, bend it downward using a cresent wrench or pliers. Might help to use a hair dryer so the plastic will be more permanently bent downward. I also greased mine where it slides under the metal support.

BUMP...

I also have a 2008 with the Yamaha gel seat and have the exact same problem. I don't know if it was like this before since I bought the bike used.

I can't for the life of me get that tab on the seat base to go under the slot. For now I have it resting on top of it, but I don't think it's secure enough. I've tried and tried but it just won't go all the way forward to get the rear tab to lock...

It looks as if the seat was molded incorrectly and the hook/front tab should extend down a little more. I'm going to fiddle with it later and compare it to the stock seat. I have thought about trying to bend it down or even take a file to it...

I'll take some pics later when I get home...
I just currently had the same problem with my 2008 Yamaha FZ1 and what I did was I took a blow torch lighter hybrid and I heat it up the tab that goes down in front the tab and I pulled the tab down while it was still hot and then the seat went straight in so my suggestion is heat it up a little bit and bend it further down in the front and the seat will go right back on 10/14/ 2020

It's a common trouble using seats from FZ1 N to S and viceversa
Front has the "tab" in a different position. The Pillon one has a different shape and mounting points, unfortunately.

Back