FZ09 or '15 FZ1??

First time poster, need opinions.
I want the FZ1, can still get a leftover for a pretty good price from a dealer 3hrs away. Local dealer is trying to sell the 09 he has on the floor, rather than order the FZ1. In the looks dept., FZ1 has it over the 09 IMO. Plan to mostly sport tour and back roads locally. I just think the 09 is to too light for long trips and no fairing (I know there is an FJ09..real ugly). Any opinion, thoughts? thanks.

The two bikes would certainly meet different needs. I think if you were planning on mostly riding small highways and backroads, the FZ-09 would be a great choice. If your idea of sport touring means long distances at high speeds, that's the FZ1's territory.

The MT-10 is a good suggestion but sadly is not available in North America and they haven't announced when, if ever, it will be

The two bikes would certainly meet different needs. I think if you were planning on mostly riding small highways and backroads, the FZ-09 would be a great choice. If your idea of sport touring means long distances at high speeds, that's the FZ1's territory.

The MT-10 is a good suggestion but sadly is not available in North America and they haven't announced when, if ever, it will be

I thought the MT-10 is the FJ-09? I also am new and Currently have an FZ6R... THIS weekend im either getting an FJ-09... OR.. FZ1.

Glad OP posted this..

My main concerns with the FJ-09

(115mph/ RPM limiter in gears 4,5,6.. ) Very annoying.
Wobble at 95+MPH -Reported-

My Main Concerns with the FZ1 -

No Gear indicator? Why Yamaha WHY..
No Extendable windshield?
Older ODO,Display
Heavier.

Just Torn.. I dont do a ton of high speed runs but limiting gears RPM's are pretty sucky..

The MT-10 is Yamaha's new superbike-based naked:
MT-10-1.jpg

Regarding your concerns:

FJ-09:
The stupid speed limiter can be removed easily with what appears to be a sub-$100 ECU flash. The wobble, I'm not so sure.

FZ1:
Install your own gear indicator as many people here have done
There's a huge selection of aftermarket windscreens to choose from, some as big as barn doors

I think the biggest advantage the FJ-09 has over the FZ1 is weight. You'll never get an FZ1 to be that light. I've heard that new triple motor is really nice but the FZ1 motor is also fantastic and above 7000 RPM I bet it leaves the FJ for dead.

The MT-10 is Yamaha's new superbike-based naked:
MT-10-1.jpg

Regarding your concerns:

FJ-09:
The stupid speed limiter can be removed easily with what appears to be a sub-$100 ECU flash. The wobble, I'm not so sure.

FZ1:
Install your own gear indicator as many people here have done
There's a huge selection of aftermarket windscreens to choose from, some as big as barn doors

Thanks Dustin.

If you were me, which would you choose? I do back country and Long distance riding but i'm a tall heavy guy (6'4 280).. The FZ6 is just too weak for me..

Dealer is offering 2,000 off on the FZ1 (Makes it roughly 8600/change USD) and 1500 off the FJ-09 (Makes it 8900/change USD)

Just not sure what to do..

I'd definitely try to secure a test ride of both of them to see which fits you best. You are definitely on the big side and depending on your inseam, you may find the FZ1 to be a bit cramped.

The FZ1 has its own share of issues but because it has been around since 2006 in its current iteration, those problems have all been solved. Anything you could want to do to the FZ1 has been done already. That said, I think I'd go with the FZ1. I don't like the aesthetics of the FJ-09 and nor do I like the apparent drawbacks. The ergonomics seem to be a bit more 'sit up and beg' than I like.

I bet you the dealer has more wiggle room in the FZ1 price than the FJ and maybe you can snag it for, say, $8200 OTD or something?

Last edited:
I'd definitely try to secure a test ride of both of them to see which fits you best. You are definitely on the big side and depending on your inseam, you may find the FZ1 to be a bit cramped.

The FZ1 has its own share of issues but because it has been around since 2006 in its current iteration, those problems have all been solved. Anything you could want to do to the FZ1 has been done already. That said, I think I'd go with the FZ1. I don't like the aesthetics of the FJ-09 and nor do I like the apparent drawbacks. The ergonomics seem to be a bit more 'sit up and beg' than I like.

I bet you the dealer has more wiggle room in the FZ1 price than the FJ and maybe you can snag it for, say, $8200 OTD or something?

Yea, right now i'm working on the trade.. I'm going to try to get the bike for 8ish OTD, it's their last one and its been sitting for awhile..

Appreciate the advice. I want the sit upright but I also want to be able to tuck and twist too..

Check out Cycle Ergo if you haven't before, it allows you to input your dimensions on a list of bikes and simulate what the 'rider triangle' will be like.

Motorcycle Ergonomics

It's not quite the same as actually riding it but you get a rough idea.

Last edited:
I would definitely go with the FZ1 I picked up mine brand new 0 miles leftover 2014 last year for $7190 plus tax. It was to good to pass up plus most places are wanting to get rid of them so you can get a better price. The insurance was cheaper on the FZ1 also.

Just curious, why do you feel not having a gear indicator is such a big deal?

I have come to know the sounds of my bike at certain speeds, for example I know if I am cruising on the freeway at 80-85mph exactly where my RPM's should be and exactly how the exhaust note should sound if she in 6th gear.

As for the FZ09 vs FJ09 vs FZ1...

I think the FZ1 will be a better "touring" bike than the FZ09 just because it is bigger, the seat is a bit more comfy, and you can carry more weight. Also the half Fairing does a decent job keeping the wind vibration down compared to a full naked. I ride my Gen1 to and from work everyday, and about half the trip is spent on the Freeway doing 80-85, I am not sure I could handle that everyday on a full naked setup.

Personally I love the looks of the FJ09 and if I was looking at a new bike I would seriously consider one over a new FZ1, The stock hand guards are nice for when it is cold. I had no idea about the rev limiter, that is annoying, but I would probably get the ECU flashed anyway.

I should say that I have toured all over the west coast on naked bikes and they can do it very well indeed. It's actually a great experience sport touring on a lightweight, naked machine but it takes getting used to. Sure, you do slow down a bit; you certainly can't go blasting across the desert at 120 mph all day long like you ALLEGEDLY can on a fully faired bike like my VFR.

Last edited:
Just curious, why do you feel not having a gear indicator is such a big deal?

I have come to know the sounds of my bike at certain speeds, for example I know if I am cruising on the freeway at 80-85mph exactly where my RPM's should be and exactly how the exhaust note should sound if she in 6th gear.

As for the FZ09 vs FJ09 vs FZ1...

I think the FZ1 will be a better "touring" bike than the FZ09 just because it is bigger, the seat is a bit more comfy, and you can carry more weight. Also the half Fairing does a decent job keeping the wind vibration down compared to a full naked. I ride my Gen1 to and from work everyday, and about half the trip is spent on the Freeway doing 80-85, I am not sure I could handle that everyday on a full naked setup.

Personally I love the looks of the FJ09 and if I was looking at a new bike I would seriously consider one over a new FZ1, The stock hand guards are nice for when it is cold. I had no idea about the rev limiter, that is annoying, but I would probably get the ECU flashed anyway.

I just enjoy knowing what Gear im in.. I can always aftermarket but its 2016.. They should be standard on all bikes.

I also agree, the looks on the 09 + the infodisplay + Electronic wind deflector ... Good features..

How long has the FZ1 been sitting? If it's been there too long, check the date stamp on the tires, they may be past their use by date.

The MT-10 is due out here in a few months, I think I'll take one for a test ride, but I can't see me ever getting rid of my FZ1.

FJ09vsFZ1 should be your decision. FZ09 is no contest if you want an all round street touring sport bike. FJ09 is awesome, updated looks, good options like having power plug in options, hand guards etc. however, stacked up next to the fz1 its just a baby brother. my actual younger brother has a fj09 with full graves (which sounds awesome) with ecu flash however, compared with my flashed fz1, i leave it in the dust. its like the FZ6 to the FZ1 from back in the day. except now the FJ09 looks nicer. i'd be tempted to step down to one, because it's quite capable, just not as much as the fz1.

you should be able to get a new leftover fz1 for cheaper than a fj09. that extra difference will get you a flash and at least slip on, suspension and brake upgrades etc and you'll be good. otherwise you'll have to do all of that on top of the fj09 price

How long has the FZ1 been sitting? If it's been there too long, check the date stamp on the tires, they may be past their use by date.

The MT-10 is due out here in a few months, I think I'll take one for a test ride, but I can't see me ever getting rid of my FZ1.

Its a 2015 Model.. SO I think its been sitting since delivery of the 15' models? Maybe a year?

FJ09vsFZ1 should be your decision. FZ09 is no contest if you want an all round street touring sport bike. FJ09 is awesome, updated looks, good options like having power plug in options, hand guards etc. however, stacked up next to the fz1 its just a baby brother. my actual younger brother has a fj09 with full graves (which sounds awesome) with ecu flash however, compared with my flashed fz1, i leave it in the dust. its like the FZ6 to the FZ1 from back in the day. except now the FJ09 looks nicer. i'd be tempted to step down to one, because it's quite capable, just not as much as the fz1.

you should be able to get a new leftover fz1 for cheaper than a fj09. that extra difference will get you a flash and at least slip on, suspension and brake upgrades etc and you'll be good. otherwise you'll have to do all of that on top of the fj09 price

This was the dilemma.. I LOVE the looks of the FJ-09... Its such a pretty looking bike. Definatly 2016 Tech on there.. But It would need a flash (Which can be 3-500 bucks) plus other items, where as the FZ1 could use a flash but in reality its pretty good out of the box from what ive heard..

I am a big guy and I am worried the FJ is just too small .. (FJ1300 would be nice lol)

This was the dilemma.. I LOVE the looks of the FJ-09... Its such a pretty looking bike. Definatly 2016 Tech on there.. But It would need a flash (Which can be 3-500 bucks) plus other items, where as the FZ1 could use a flash but in reality its pretty good out of the box from what ive heard..

I am a big guy and I am worried the FJ is just too small .. (FJ1300 would be nice lol)

your fears are irrelevant. go test ride both for fitment is your best bet honestly. and i've thought about finding a way to retrofit a FJ headlight to my FZ however! the FJ09, pisses me off, uses single high and single low beam, where the FZ1's have duals, both headlights always on for high or low. i hate the one eyed willy look where one light is off all the time. thats a personal pet peeve though. i'm sure i can wire it up to make em both work but its still annoying

both bikes need to be flashed, its $349 for either one through 2 wheel dynoworks. your fz1 stock will barely outrun a R6. just food for thought.

both bikes need suspension, especially if you're over 200.

the FJ1300 is nice but you lose the sportiness and ability to throw it through some corners

both bikes need an ecu flash, exhaust (slip on minimum) and suspension work. but, with those 3, they're both billy badass street warrior machines, however the FZ1 will dominate in performance while the FJ09 will dominate in tech and goodies. FZ1 engine is awesome. FJ09 is awesome, just smaller.

also, had my seat, and my brothers seat, rebuilt with extra padding from Apex Stitching in Seattle, made it absolutely money. i'm not light either, and stock seat kinda dug into inner thighs after awhile, new pads in seat? like sitting on a sticky cloud (added grippy leather in middle of seat so i dont slide around in corners)

Last edited:
your fears are irrelevant. go test ride both for fitment is your best bet honestly.

both bikes need to be flashed, its $349 for either one through 2 wheel dynoworks.

both bikes need suspension, especially if you're over 200.

the FJ1300 is nice but you lose the sportiness and ability to throw it through some corners

both bikes need an ecu flash, exhaust (slip on minimum) and suspension work. but, with those 3, they're both billy badass street warrior machines, however the FZ1 will dominate in performance while the FJ09 will dominate in tech and goodies. FZ1 engine is awesome. FJ09 is awesome, just smaller.

also, had my seat, and my brothers seat, rebuilt with extra padding from Apex Stitching in Seattle, made it absolutely money. i'm not light either, and stock seat kinda dug into inner thighs after awhile, new pads in seat? like sitting on a sticky cloud (added grippy leather in middle of seat so i dont slide around in corners)

Yeah, I just get really picky..

My Bike history

01 'ZX6R (Total)
CBR600RR
SV1000
SV650
06 ZX6R
SV650S

and Current FZ6R ... What an odd lineup lol

Back