FZ1 Engine Problem?

Hello, new to the FZ1 world here.
Bought my bike from a guy down the road a couple months ago now. I have ran into an issue that I cannot figure out, I am not a mechanic by any means but I can usually get the basics of stuff down with research and trouble shooting.
Problem- Was riding down the highway with some buddies, of course I just got the bike so I wanted to see what she had, either I missed a tooth on the sprocket or tried to shift up from 6th (rookie mistake I know, be nice to me). Basically the bike went full bore for about a second and I pulled the clutch and started to slow her down. I came to a light and noticed my idle was off, went to take off like normal and heard a loud tapping coming from the top of the engine, not quite a knock but a tap/rattle with acceleration.
Immediately took it home, changed the oil, nothing in the oil, no leaks anywhere, no weird smells/smoking. Set it up on the stands and went to try and figure out what is going on, starts up just fine, no noise when idling in neutral. Took it out the other day recently to see if I could get a good video of it, now when I get up to about 4500-5500 she doesn't want to go above that and the tap noise comes back, the one time I did push it above 5500 rpm it shot right back down to 2k-2500 very quickly.
I have an appointment at the shop next week, I was just wondering if anyone has had the issue before, so I know what to expect and/or if the motor is just canned.
2007 FZ1
36K Miles
Delkelvic Slip on
PC3
Flash Tune

Sounds like you found a false neutral and then revved out the engine on the limiter? Most likely damage is a valve(s) made contact even though the ECU rev limit should prevent that. Another less likely possibility is the cam tensioner let go and the chain jumped a tooth. Pull the spark plugs and do a compression test (if you have a gauge). Its unlikely that more than one cylinder is affected as the bike still runs readily.

Back