fz1 front end swap

Hi guys,
<
I have a question,

I recently had an accident and damaged the whole front end of my beloved baby, top and bottom yolk, wheel, forks, the whole lot, and since I cannot afford to buy everything new I tried to get second hand parts but couldnt find them anywhere.
Also since I had to replace everything I thought about upgrading with an R1 front end, which I can easily buy on ebay, my question is which year of the R1 will fit my FZ1 2008 without having to modify it?

Thanks in advance

This is actually being discussed over on the Fz8 forum right now.

RaceTech - Yamaha FZ8 Forums - International FZ8 Motorcycle Community Forum

It seems the guy that did the research said that the Gen II Fz1's have basically same fork setup as the 2004-2006 (one guy did 2007) R1 forks and wheels.

It's worth a read through to maybe see if it answers some of your questions. It seems the main issue they came down to was making sure the wheel, discs and calipers all line up well so you get the appropriate stopping power.

04 - 06 forks will work with your existing brake calipers and front fender.

07-08 will need the r1 brakes, but will use the FZ1 front fender

09 + will need R1 brakes (calipers and rotors/or 5mm spacers)and an R1 fender. I would go this option. The technology is better and the additional cost for the fender and brakes off of ebay is worth the extra coin.

I went with Ohlins FGRT 206 forks, R1 brakes and fender on my conversion.

I have written up all the things I had to do in this thread

http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii-mods/16665-ohlins-fgrt-206-any-one-installed-them.html

From 04 up you will need calipers for that gen 04-06, 07-08 and the 09 up. For 07 and up you will need a 5mm spacer between the caliper and the caliper mount or you can use the R1 rotors from 07 up. The FZ is a 320mm rotor and the 07 up R1's are 310mm.

Master cylinder is optional on the 04-06 set up and highly recommended on the 07 up set ups.

you can use the stock fz1 fender on the 04 to 08 set ups and need the R1 fender from 09 up.

You will need the R1 axle from the r1 gen that you go with.

I have 05's on mine and its well worth doing

Hey bud, can I reuse the wheel spacers on the fz1 or do I need the spacers from the new r1 axle?
Spacers are the same size, but the R1 spacers have the plastic protectors for the dust seals. Typically, you'll get the spacers with the axle anyway.

I went with '04 R1 front end on my first FZ1 conversion, with the four pot calipers and R1 master. I went with the '08 front end on my current bike, with '09 6 pot calipers, and a Brembo RCS19 master.

Back