fz1 import!

hello there, i'm stepping up from an fz6 fazor and have looked around for fz1's. ive been offered an import brand new for around £600 less than uk spec. my worry is i dont know what differences there is and is it a safe purchase. would appreciate any advice. thanx

Welcome to the forum -- are you purchasing from an individual or a dealer?

What year is it that you are wanting to purchase?

Try Yamaha's website to familarize yourself with the specs of the the bike you are wanting to purchase and do your research before purchase.

Best of Luck....

BroHay

I've once imported a bike from Holland into Belgium, and allthough you'd say we speak the same language, it is not the case regarding vehicles registration...my advise contact your Yamaha UK importer (no, not the dealer but the actual importer) to check upon what should be done...! (but .... I'd buy now a bike in the UK and import it to Belgium (due to the strong €):)

hiya.i,ve had import bikes before,they were fine.a few things to think about are make sure its not restricted,also i looked at a 2 year old fz1 last june before i bought a new one.it turned out the used one was an import & my yam dealer told me it wasnt a uk colour so maybe getting colour matched replacement parts would be tricky.the other thing is insurance is usually dearer.hope that helped.good luck.

Welcome to the forum -- are you purchasing from an individual or a dealer?

What year is it that you are wanting to purchase?

Try Yamaha's website to familarize yourself with the specs of the the bike you are wanting to purchase and do your research before purchase.

Best of Luck....

BroHay

its from a dealer. its 2008 model and new and im told imported from the usa.

Bought one back end of last year mate.
US spec. full power.
The only things not the same:
indicators are bigger
side reflectors fitted (removed in 2 minutes!)
no Yamaha immobiliser

Initially I was concerned about the immobiliser but after a bit thought I realised bike thefte are typically 2-3 big guys lifting a bike in to a van. An immobiliser will not stop anyone wheeling the bike away. Loose the red key and cripple the used value as well.....so pay full price or save £600-1500...hmmm. Insurance was no dearer.

Very happy with said purchase, just be aware resale will be a little less, but you make a big saving to start. The longer you keep the bike the closer the gap gets between import and UK bike for value. Warranty through dealer rather than Yamaha Uk. Mine is from Taz and they give 2 year warranty.

If it was a Ducati/prila/KTM etc then I might be worried but its a Yamaha...never had any bother with one in the past. This is my 6th.

Makes me think even more that I would like to have a front disc lock. Hey, they'll take it if they want it bad enough, but at least cause them a couple hundred dollars of damage in the process if they are going to try to sell. PLUS, they might not want to spend the time tracking down the new parts.

I'm lucky, work has paid parking with an attendant less than 10' away from my bike....

BroHay

US spec. full power.
indicators are bigger
no Yamaha immobiliser

Initially I was concerned about the immobiliser but after a bit thought I realised bike thefte are typically 2-3 big guys lifting a bike in to a van. An immobiliser will not stop anyone wheeling the bike away. Loose the red key and cripple the used value as well.....so pay full price or save £600-1500...hmmm. Insurance was no dearer.

Very happy with said purchase, just be aware resale will be a little less, but you make a big saving to start. The longer you keep the bike the closer the gap gets between import and UK bike for value. Warranty through dealer rather than Yamaha Uk. Mine is from Taz and they give 2 year warranty.

If it was a Ducati/prila/KTM etc then I might be worried but its a Yamaha...never had any bother with one in the past. This is my 6th.

not too sure about the insurance side mate , i have points and found they wanted a cat1 alarm fitted before they would insure me!! so it might be best to check first!

Makes me think even more that I would like to have a front disc lock. BroHay
I've got a small ABUS brake disk lock under the sadle, and use it everywhere I'm a stranger to the neighbourhood. Yamaha is the most stolen bike in Benelux (sign that it are good bikes :D)

not too sure about the insurance side mate , i have points and found they wanted a cat1 alarm fitted before they would insure me!! so it might be best to check first!

Yep, told them it was an import and was same spec but had NO immobiliser. As long as the bike was available in the UK as an officail import they were not interested. Only an insurance approved alarm would have made for cheaper insurance...by a few £. I dont like alarms though and the cost is not recovered by cheaper insurance. Maybe if my bike wasnt garaged...but it is.

US spec. full power.
indicators are bigger
no Yamaha immobiliser

thanks mate you've put my mind at ease. is the speedo in mph?

thanx for all your info. ive ordered one and get it on march 2nd. not fussed with re-sale value as i will keep it for about 5 years. cant wait!

You will be pleased mate. I somehow ended up with an R1 (allways wanted one I suppose) on my previous purchase. Great fun for the 12k miles I put on it.
Now in FZ land though and well pleased. I can stil play with my mates on their sportsbikes (easily) but can also do 250 mile rides and not have an ache any where:D

Back