FZ1 Newbie seeking advise

AxelFZ1

View attachment 14507

I am a newbie Gen 1 FZ1 rider as of this week. Just picked up this beautiful bone stock FZ and am loving it. Did my first big ride this past Saturday through the Smoky Mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway. The bike rode beautifully and has an amazing amount of power and refinement compared to the 09 KLR it replaced.

After taking delivery of the bike, I went straight to my local moto shop and had the suspension set-up for me. Unfortunately, I learned that my 235 pounds exceeds the weight range of the stock suspension. I also realized that I'll need to change the stock bar to a handlebar that has less sweep. These are the first mods I intend to make and was hoping someone out there may have some suggestions?

1) Hope to change handlebars to a 7/8 bar that will fit the stock risers. Do not wish to change brake lines. Looking for less sweep and similar rise to stock

2) Been Ebay shopping for an R1 shock. Will this solve my rear undersprung stock shock? What model of R! shock do I need to look for?

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Try out some Gen2 bars, They are a little bit lower (they are flat bars), but have a little bit less sweep too. Most Gen1 riders prefer them. (I do)

No stock suspension will be perfect for your weight. You really need new springs, as most bikes are sprung for the 160-180 lb rider. Its gonna hurt your wallet, but...

It won't hurt your wallet too bad. Google this <R6 shock upgrade for FZ1>
$200 for everything you need and it's plug-and-play.

The spring will still be wrong for his wieght. Does the price include the proper spring?

Springs are always the starting point, period. The guy is 235 lbs.

I don't remember which forum it was on, but I've seen a BMW shock swapped onto a Gen I FZ1 as well, and I think it was pretty straight forward. may have been on the carolina riders forum.

Dean Dinnetz has offers a R6 shock, complete with spring, ready to bolt in for $190. I weigh 225 and have it set to the mid spring position. Best upgrade since the new tires.

Back