FZ1 Temperature Light...on/off???

HI,

I just purchased a nice 2001 (black) FZ1 with only 3K miles on it!!! Awesome bike. It did not come with an owners manual. It seems the temperature light is always on - faintly (bluish color) when I start it up and ride. Does this mean there's a cooling problem?...or does the light shine red if the engine is hot or about to overheat? I don't want to do anything to damage the motor (which by the way is incredible!!!). Would appreciate those in the know to let me know if the faint blue light color means everything is OK or if there might be issues with a fuse or the thermostat?? Thanks for the help.

When you turn the key and all the lights come on for a second and then shut down, does the temp light stay on?? Thats important because if it does then I don't think it has anything to do with the cooling system. Don't hit the starter, just turn the key and wait for the lights to go off. Then check.

Welcome again... And the light shouldn't stay on... Can we get a bit of history on the bike? Any aftermarket electrical accessories? As far as I know, the light doesn't change colors either... It's either on or off... It's been a long time since mine has come on... But if memory serves, the light is either yellow or red. I'll check the service manual when I get home this evening.

I have the same problem. i just bought a 2001 fz1 with 20,000 miles. at idle and anytime I get into high revs my colant temp light turns on.

All the bike has is a slip on d&d

I have the same problem. i just bought a 2001 fz1 with 20,000 miles. at idle and anytime I get into high revs my colant temp light turns on.

All the bike has is a slip on d&d

Behind the right side cover is the fluid catch for the radiator. Make sure that it is at the proper level with the bike upright and level. Also under the right side fairing insert is the radiator cap. You might as well check that too. When I buy a bike used, I always flush all fluids and replace them. This way I have a log to start with from then on. You may want to also make sure that your fan is running.

I know it’s an old post but I figured it would be better to just ask in here.

My temperature light came on today for about 20-30 seconds and then went off. It did this a few times after heavy WOP but never stays on. Should I be concerned?

Heavy WOP?

Wide Open Throttle?

If your bike is moving at normal speeds the engine should stay cool. The only time I had my warning light come on is when I stopped on a warmish day and left the motor running while I read something on my phone. I was in place without moving for 5 min or so and I guess my fan does not work, or it does not work good enough to cool the bike when running at a stop. That is the only time my warning light came on.

My usual ride is to work and back and for that I run 80-90mph on the freeway for most of the trip at about 6k rpm. Never had it get warm under those conditions.

Heavy WOP?

Wide Open Throttle?

If your bike is moving at normal speeds the engine should stay cool. The only time I had my warning light come on is when I stopped on a warmish day and left the motor running while I read something on my phone. I was in place without moving for 5 min or so and I guess my fan does not work, or it does not work good enough to cool the bike when running at a stop. That is the only time my warning light came on.

My usual ride is to work and back and for that I run 80-90mph on the freeway for most of the trip at about 6k rpm. Never had it get warm under those conditions.

😊 Wide open Throttle yes not WOP..

your right though it did come on when I was at the light but I can definitely hear my fans working

😊 Wide open Throttle yes not WOP..

your right though it did come on when I was at the light but I can definitely hear my fans working
Sounds like you were just working the motor hard and then came to a stop and the fans just do not move as much as as a bike in motion does, so the temp climbed up until you started moving again and the coolant was able to come down a few degrees.

Probably nothing to worry about, but if you have not done a coolant flush you might want to do one or at least check your coolant levels.

Yesterday the light came on and I smelled a little coolant thought nothing of it.
Today I have loss of power ( no power-band ) I looked next to my shifter and I see fluid running down the hose that’s coming from the radiator.

would low fluid cause loss of power band?

I might need to replace that hose since it’s leaking from that side

The power band is back….Also the coolant is dripping down from where my header meets the mid pipe. If anyone can PLEASE tell me where to look because I can’t seem to figure it out it would be much appreciated!

The power band is back….Also the coolant is dripping down from where my header meets the mid pipe. If anyone can PLEASE tell me where to look because I can’t seem to figure it out it would be much appreciated!

That sounds like it's coming from the weep hole in the oil pan. This problem happens when the water/oil pump assembly seals and or bearing has failed unfortunately.

The power band is back….Also the coolant is dripping down from where my header meets the mid pipe...

Noooo! That's not good! jwarden and I both experienced this recently. He fixed it himself. My mechanical ability is only "Average" rated, so I'm waiting to hear back from my mechanic and throw many $100 bills at him.

Your best bet is to do no more riding until the issue is fixed or you risk mixing your oil with your coolant...

Noooo! That's not good! jwarden and I both experienced this recently. He fixed it himself. My mechanical ability is only "Average" rated, so I'm waiting to hear back from my mechanic and throw many $100 bills at him.

Your best bet is to do no more riding until the issue is fixed or you risk mixing your oil with your coolant...

😥😥😥 at the moment it’s my only means of transportation. I am waiting for the shop to open and explain to them and ask how much and when I can bring it in.

also why is my coolant fluid a MURKY CLAYISH COLOR 👀.

Now I really don’t have power like that it’s just really sluggish. I just got a new tire put on and the mechanic said he put Seafoam in the tank and it’s running like crap and that’s when the leak started happening.. could all this be related?

😥😥😥 at the moment it’s my only means of transportation. I am waiting for the shop to open and explain to them and ask how much and when I can bring it in.

also why is my coolant fluid a MURKY CLAYISH COLOR 👀.

Now I really don’t have power like that it’s just really sluggish. I just got a new tire put on and the mechanic said he put Seafoam in the tank and it’s running like crap and that’s when the leak started happening.. could all this be related?

Your coolant is mixing with your oil due to one or more seals failing (nothing to do with the Seafoam). I wish it weren't so but you are risking blowing the motor as coolant dilutes the lubrication of oil and creates a frothy mix.

How far away is your work? I'd try anything to find another way to get there because the cost of new engine isn't going to be cheap...

Your coolant is mixing with your oil due to one or more seals failing (nothing to do with the Seafoam). I wish it weren't so but you are risking blowing the motor as coolant dilutes the lubrication of oil and creates a frothy mix.

How far away is your work? I'd try anything to find another way to get there because the cost of new engine isn't going to be cheap...

It’s 13 miles each way!

Ill have to take the Benz I really didn’t want to but you have me VERY WORRIED!! I just spent $700 and this was all supposed to be taken care of…

I’m going to drive it home after work as the shop is 10 mins from my house.

if yo Saying it’s that bad to drive it then I’m going to listen before it’s too late!!

Back