FZ1 Temperature Light...on/off???

What’s up guys!!!?? Ok it’s been a minute since an update. Trying to find a bike at a decent price with no issues is a headache lol. However I may have found a 2001 Fz1. The fairings are ehh but I’m taking everything off of my bike and putting it on this one if I buy it Saturday.

My question is can everything fit perfectly from the 01 to the 02.

he did say that 2nd gear skips and sent me a video of it doing it.

would that be the clutch and clutch springs causing it???

If it’s the clutch and everything can be switched over I think for $900 I’m going to buy it…

he had it listed for 2900 for over a month and finally lowered it to $1000…

Thank you for your time again…

I don't recommend a Gen 1 with 2nd gear issues. It's the transmission and the fix involves major surgery on the motor. This use to be the big fear of Gen 1 owners in the early days but to honest the incidence of it was actually pretty rare. 2nd gear issues are a problem with a number of bikes and brands. Some owners use to just skip using 2nd gear.

You're better off getting a $2500 Gen 1 with no issues.

From Reddit forum :
"100 percent transmission. It is jumping out of gear. Bent, broke or burnt shift fork along with at least 2 gears need replacing. Until he gets it fixed he is going to have to make sure when he goes into 2nd to keep at lower RPMS as to not have it do that and go to third.
At my shop that could cost ya easily $2000 or so. Need to find a good tech who knows transmissions. It is not a hard fix it just a lot of time to get to the transmission on some bikes"

To answer your other question everything is interchangeable between 2001 and 2005.

Last edited:
I don't recommend a Gen 1 with 2nd gear issues. It's the transmission and the fix involves major surgery on the motor. This use to be the big fear of Gen 1 owners in the early days but to honest the incidence of it was actually pretty rare. 2nd gear issues are a problem with a number of bikes and brands. Some owners use to just skip using 2nd gear.

You're better off getting a $2500 Gen 1 with no issues.

From Reddit forum :
"100 percent transmission. It is jumping out of gear. Bent, broke or burnt shift fork along with at least 2 gears need replacing. Until he gets it fixed he is going to have to make sure when he goes into 2nd to keep at lower RPMS as to not have it do that and go to third.
At my shop that could cost ya easily $2000 or so. Need to find a good tech who knows transmissions. It is not a hard fix it just a lot of time to get to the transmission on some bikes"

To answer your other question everything is interchangeable between 2001 and 2005.

Well damn if that’s not a shot in the heart…..

Hate to put a shiv in the seller's sale as he's a Gen 1 owner as well, but he has to know what 2nd gear fix involves. On the plus side he did reveal it to you.

At least you now know what to expect / avoid. Glad you asked the question.

Back