gas tank removal

You'll need to remove the seats so you can get to the rear tank mount. Remove rear and front bolts holding the tank on. Then you need to carefully lift it from the back and disconnect the fuel line and electrical connectors. While not necessary to drain the tank it makes it much easier to remove it if it's nearly empty. Gasoline weighs about 6 lbs/gal.

When you're ready to disconnect, wrap a rag around it before pulling the hose off. Good time to check the fuel line for kinks and replace it with the EFI fuel line mod. ;)

You'll need to remove the seats so you can get to the rear tank mount. Remove rear and front bolts holding the tank on. Then you need to carefully lift it from the back and disconnect the fuel line and electrical connectors. While not necessary to drain the tank it makes it much easier to remove it if it's nearly empty. Gasoline weighs about 6 lbs/gal.

I find it easier to prop up the tank with a wooden spoon and remove the pressurized line first. Be very careful when removing this connector because they are very easy to break. I find that it comes off better if after you snap open the clip, you push up toward the tank prior to pinching the release tabs.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I'm looking at new throttle and clutch cables give the type of bars I plan on putting on. But it doesn't look like removing the tank is that huge a deal either.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I'm looking at new throttle and clutch cables give the type of bars I plan on putting on. But it doesn't look like removing the tank is that huge a deal either.

Yea, it will have to come off then. And no removing the tank is not that big a deal, but it does take some time. Just do yourself a favor and remove it when it almost empty. Makes it much easier to handle.

Fuel line mod?

The factory fuel line is very prone to kinking if you're not careful when reinstalling the fuel tank. This will lead to a fuel starvation issue, especially at higher RPMs. Some people choose to replace the factory fuel line with a piece of hose rated for FI to eliminate this issue.

Personally I still have the factory line, but since I'm very aware of the issue I always make sure the stock line is not kinked when I replace the gas tank (and I've had it off a number of times for various mods).

So if you have a Gen 2, no issue, right?

No, it's precisely the Gen II bikes that you have to be very careful not to kink the fuel line...just take your time when putting the tank on and be sure there are no kinks in the fuel line and you'll be fine.

Back