Gen 1 Fork Cartridge

Isleoman

Site Supporter
Did you ever wonder what would happen if your fork cartridge loosened and disconnected from the fork cap, sinking to the bottom of the fork?

Surprisingly little noticeable effect, although they weren't handling raised bumps as well as I like. Not sure how long it's been like that, but I was last in the forks about 3 mo. ago. I had a fork seal that was starting to weep, so I rebuilt a spare set of forks and through them on today.

I think one reason it wasn't so noticeable is the other fork leg cartridge was still attached. If they both fell off I would expect it to have been ultra bouncy, like an LA low rider.

Current rebuilt fork legs are working well with blended 6 wt oil, but based on my ride assessment record , I my be the wrong person to critique them. Don't know if I'm a NumAss or DumbAss, probably both.

Changed out the teflon metal slides, the oil seals, and wipe covers, about $75 in parts. Also used some 1000 grit paper to take the curse off some of the micro scratches. Don't mind working on forks, but it is time consuming and smelly. I've got a fan going for the last 24 hrs to get the smell out of my basement.

The rebuilt forks were last used by me at least 10 years ago on my other Gen 1. When I looked in them I found an old set of Traxxion 1.1 springs with the plastic insert to keep them centered. I had forgotten to use them on the last set of legs. I think losing 25 lbs negated some of the need for the stiffer springs.

Did 100 miles yesterday with a 17mm wrench in my front pocket for preload adj, and a screwdriver tucked into my radiator guard's slots, which makes an easily assessable sheath for a screwdriver or shiv.

Back