Gen 2 rear shock question

Hope someone can help.
I've been looking at the rear shock from a 04-07 R1 with a view to swapping it onto the FZ1-N. I've removed my shock and it measures 320mm off the bike.
I've got a 99 r1 shock but it's 20mm to short (mounting points are the same)
Ist question does anyone know the length a the 04 on r1 rear shock?

2nd question has anybody done the conversion? if so is the spring rate ok for the bike / rider ( I weight 90kgs)

I've also heard of people fitting R1 front forks my last question is which model R1 and do you have to change the yokes as well or do you use the original top and bottom FZ1 yokes.

Thanks in advance

Carl

As far as i am aware the R1 shock will not fit or requires major modifying. To save yourself the grief a Penske with the correct spring for you weight can be had for resonable $ nowdays, a when you move on from the FZ1 sell it for half what you payed for it= result. R1 forks will fit the FZ1, you can swap the forks & yokes if you wish for that look. The only downside is, forks off a 04/05 R1 are about 20mm short & 07/08 12mm short. This is a popular mod and one i have thought about doing myself with the advantages of having seperate comp & rebound on each leg. Personally, i would use 07/08 R1 forks with the 6 pot-caliper brakes. The 12mm height drop will make the bike steer quicker which isn't a bad thing as most of us drop the stock front-end 5-10mm to make for quicker steering, you can also lower you rear shock height to counter the difference. You will need adjustable rearsets though. Alternatively, stick with the stock forks get new springs & rebound kit, fresh oil & seals this will improve the front-end 100% without the $.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply it's been very helpful

Can the original yokes be used with either pair of R1 forks??

Would you know if the early R1 forks fit ie 98-02?

Carl

Last edited:
Back