Gen 2 shock spring

Camshaft

Hi all, my 2006 FZ1 have a very hard shock spring it’s silver in colour and I think they put a softer one in 2007 on ?
Does the colour denote the spring weight?
Is a R1 shock a direct swap?
Needing some advice here guys pls help out !!

Last edited:
Hi all, my 2006 FZ1 have a very hard shock spring it’s silver in colour and I think they put a softer one in 2007 on ?
Does the colour denote the spring weight?
Is a R1 shock a direct swap?
Needing some advice here guys pls help out !!
I have done the R1 front and rear shock swap. I googled and found a few articles and videos outlining the process. If you want to swap the rear shock with an R1 shock, most go for the 2015+ shock. It requires a little modification (remove 2-3mm from both sides top bushings) and then you need to pull the rectifier bracket out and turn it upside down. Mount the rectifier on the top of the plate and you are done.

Attachments

Camshaft

Was thinking of an 04-06 R1 shock using the Satan's adaptor.
I didn't know the 2015+ would fit with one small mod at the top as you mentioned.
Is that all that is required to do ?
If it is it must be a better option then what I was thinking about

Was thinking of an 04-06 R1 shock using the Satan's adaptor.
I didn't know the 2015+ would fit with one small mod at the top as you mentioned.
Is that all that is required to do ?
If it is it must be a better option then what I was thinking about
2015+ requires the top bushing mod and flipping the rectifier bracket and remounting the rectifier. Not hard at all. There are articles and some vids showing how to do it. Go with the option that best fits your wants and needs.

Camshaft

2015+ requires the top bushing mod and flipping the rectifier bracket and remounting the rectifier. Not hard at all. There are articles and some vids showing how to do it. Go with the option that best fits your wants and needs.
Many thanks ! I have been very close to ordering a 04-06 serviced R1 shock with adaptor from USA delivered to Sydney for AUD$360. Not bad really.
However, I will get a decent 2015+ R1 cheaper than that more than likely. I'm doing a ring around in the morning.

I can get really cheap! plus will have it much faster :O)

darkcloud

I have done the R1 front and rear shock swap. I googled and found a few articles and videos outlining the process. If you want to swap the rear shock with an R1 shock, most go for the 2015+ shock. It requires a little modification (remove 2-3mm from both sides top bushings) and then you need to pull the rectifier bracket out and turn it upside down. Mount the rectifier on the top of the plate and you are done.
Also R1 shock is 315mm..FZ1 is 320 mm so you can adjust out R1 shock to same length as FZ1.
I've this done..

Anyone know if you leave R1 shock at 315mm will it be ok and it'll just lower ride height by maybe 1cm??

Camshaft

Follow up:
Are the Chinese sent threaded hex adj lowering links safe???
I recently put an 04-06 R1 shock and adaptor in my 06 and on centre stand rear tyre was touching ground and it is turning in way too easily for my liking, so I installed the adj lowering link and set it to 224mm from stock 216mm. This is the maximum allowable to avoid bottom of shock hitting the link. This has lowered the rear considerably so I raised the forks 5mm. Not test ridden yet as poor weather but I’m optimistic about a good riding result.
So, are these adj links safe? Has anyone had or heard of any failing?
Any advice very welcome!!

Last edited:
Next question is why are you lowering the rear of the bike so much? Short legs? Cannot flat foot? You asked about getting an R1 shock above. We gave you suggestions. You then asked if certain lowering links were safe? I have not used lowering links. You can adjust height using the shock itself quite a bit. Just wondering thanks.

Camshaft

Next question is why are you lowering the rear of the bike so much? Short legs? Cannot flat foot? You asked about getting an R1 shock above. We gave you suggestions. You then asked if certain lowering links were safe? I have not used lowering links. You can adjust height using the shock itself quite a bit. Just wondering thanks.
The 04-08 R1 shocks aren’t height adjustable. I’m 6ft and wanted to lower the bike for lower cog and I have since adjusted the dogbone to leave about 15mm rear tyre to ground over 35mm as per pics above. Using the stock dogbone with this shock and adaptor raised the rear enough that on centre stand rear tyre is touching the ground, not good.
I should have gone for 2015> R1 shock but purchased 04-08 one plus adaptor unaware how much the rear would be raised.
So now rear tyre an acceptable 15mm off ground I have put forks back in std position.
I feel a bit unsure safety wise of the al adj dogbone from China but putting the stock one back is raising things too much for my liking. Back to the drawing board for now…

ahh yes! I forgot you opted for the 04-08 shock and now i understand your position. Easiest fix IMO is to sell that shock, recoup, and purchase the 2015+ shock. Trim the top bushings and pop it in. Done and done. :]