Gen II Ohlins rear shock problem

G'Day,

So I bought a used Ohlins shock from FleaBay for a reasonable price.

It was listed as an YA628 for on '06 FZ1. Apparently came from a race bike. I doubled checked with seller about compatibility & condition etc.

So I spent a lot of time yesterday trying to fit it. The piggyback fouls on the underside of the subframe (by a lot) and the lower links didn't line-up nice either.

The seller has assured me it came from their customers '06 FZ1.....and they've offered my a full refund regardless.

So, my questions/thoughts are:

1. Does anyone know if there is another part needed to make it work?

2. I suspect that it is an R1 shock that has been used on an FZ1 track bike?.....or it was originally a Gen 1 shock that was modified to fit a stripped-down Gen 2 track bike...??

3. Would it be worth sending it to the local Ohlins service shop to have it modified with a remote reservoir ??

4. Should I just send it back & get my moolah back...?

Ohlins ebay.jpg

You can get R1 and R6 shocks to fit, but you need one of the Satan adapters to do so. I run the Ohlins shock that is specific to the FZ1 and it is a huge improvement.

Try to look up Satan's adapter on the other FZ1 forum, there were a few for sale not long ago.

You can get R1 and R6 shocks to fit, but you need one of the Satan adapters to do so. I run the Ohlins shock that is specific to the FZ1 and it is a huge improvement.

Try to look up Satan's adapter on the other FZ1 forum, there were a few for sale not long ago.

Yeah, I was looking around for the adapters last night.
But, that's assuming it is an R1 shock I have...?

The seller has repeatedly assured me it came straight off an FZ1....but I can't see how it would work...?

Does anyone know if there was a different YA628 produced ??

I'm sure you already found this PDF online but just in case: https://www.ohlins.com/app/uploads/world/documents/2007/10/MI_YA628.pdf

Based on the photos in this install manual, I'd say the shock you have is not correct. Notice the external reservoir and preload adjustment in the photos and diagrams.

Yeah, I've got those Ohlins docs.
I've searched all over the www for anything that looks like my shock....but nothing for the Gen 2 FZ1 has a piggy back reservoir.

The thing is, if someone knows what exactly I've got, then I might be able to find out how it was fitted to this mystery FZ1....?

Does anyone think it looks more like a Gen1 model ?? .......or more like an R1 model....?

I checked on what is available for the first gen FZ1 and I don't think so.

Could you provide more photos? Maybe we can narrow it down more that way.

....the other thing I can't figure out is:
It has a piggy back reservoir that looks like a Gen 1 style, but has eye fittings, not a lower clevis...?
Did Ohlins ever do a "Franken-Shock" line ?

More observations:

- The hand engraved "YA628 AUS" is interesting to say the least...? The shock doesn't match any photos I've found of the YA628 model.

- The bracket for the remote pre-load has either been hand bent to fit where it wasn't originally designed.....or it was bent when the bike went down....? (see vice jaw marks & cracked aluminium)

- The spring numbers would indicate he/she was a "large" competitor (100 kg's +)....or they liked very stiff suspension.

I dearly love to find a way to make this sucker fit my bike, but so far it's not looking good....

What a mystery! My Google-fu is pretty weak today and I have come up with almost nothing. I will look again. Regarding the etched model name on the top: I'm sure that's not done by Ohlins so it may have been done by the eBay seller?

This is what Ohlins model etching looks like from what I gather:
Yamaha-FZ1-Stossdampfer-Ohlins-mit-Verstellung-YA-906-_1.jpg

Last edited:
What a mystery! My Google-fu is pretty weak today and I have come up with almost nothing. I will look again. Regarding the etched model name on the top: I'm sure that's not done by Ohlins so it may have been done by the buyer or the eBay seller

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think I could almost break Google with the amount of different searches I've tried today. I thought I found it when I started looking for older R1 shocks, but not quite the same....

that ali mount has been bent to fit, it should be flat and mount onto the pillion foot rest. It looks like the shock that is designed for the latest R1 or the MT10. To fit that you need to modify the sub frame under your seat. There is a thread on this forum on how to do it, it does require cutting and welding.

Here is a pic of one mounted to a FZ1, hopefully it helps?
611ec3d97abc8b7c0632141e5a8b9ef3.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks mate. It's definitely not that one sadly. The FZ1 specific models all have a remote reservoir for subframe clearance....

that ali mount has been bent to fit, it should be flat and mount onto the pillion foot rest. It looks like the shock that is designed for the latest R1 or the MT10. To fit that you need to modify the sub frame under your seat. There is a thread on this forum on how to do it, it does require cutting and welding.

Yeah, The more I investigate, the more I am convinced this shock is not a YA628, nor was it originally designed for a Gen 2 FZ1.

My most recent searching has turned up the Ohlins YA8340. It's an older design for the earlier R6's. This makes more sense. The previous owner might have figured "near enough, is good enough.....I can make it fit..."

I'll check out the sub frame mods required, but I'm not keen on the idea!

Not Gen2 but Gen 1 fz1.

G'Day,

So I bought a used Ohlins shock from FleaBay for a reasonable price.

It was listed as an YA628 for on '06 FZ1. Apparently came from a race bike. I doubled checked with seller about compatibility & condition etc.

So I spent a lot of time yesterday trying to fit it. The piggyback fouls on the underside of the subframe (by a lot) and the lower links didn't line-up nice either.

The seller has assured me it came from their customers '06 FZ1.....and they've offered my a full refund regardless.

So, my questions/thoughts are:

1. Does anyone know if there is another part needed to make it work?

2. I suspect that it is an R1 shock that has been used on an FZ1 track bike?.....or it was originally a Gen 1 shock that was modified to fit a stripped-down Gen 2 track bike...??

3. Would it be worth sending it to the local Ohlins service shop to have it modified with a remote reservoir ??

4. Should I just send it back & get my moolah back...?

View attachment 23998
HI
I looked at it as well.
It's actually off Gen 1 Fz1 not Gen 2.
That's why it doesn't fit.
Send it back and get a refund.
He originally listed it as a Gen 1 2005.

Ahh....OK. That's really good info !!

But didn't the Gen 1 use a clevis type lower attachment ??

I don't know about you guys, but I have always taken "2001-2005" as Gen 1 and "2006-20**) as Gen 2, when shopping online or ordering parts etc....??
I checked all of this with the seller before I pulled the trigger.

(I'm just loading my eBay feedback six-shooter for an afternoon of f@ckwit bashing!)

Yeah, you can see the clevis on the bottom - which is not what my shock has.

Anyway, I stopped in at the local bike shop this afternoon. They have a lot of racing experience & good industry contacts....
We had a good chat about various options.

He has a contact in Melbourne who worked for Ohlins for years as a technical / race support / service guy.....before he went out on his own.
They're gonna see how much trouble it would / wouldn't be to convert the shock to a remote reservoir - which I think would make it fittable to my bike.

He also quoted me an entry level Wilbers or an entry level Nitron instead (but I think the Nitron will be too expensive unfortunately....)

So, I'm standing by to hear back about whether to send the Ohlins off for modification....and approximate cost to do so...

Back