Gen II oil light on.

ok so for the last week or so my oil light has been blinking. I did the research that I could so I'm aware that it's an oil level light and the oil window is full. I was told that it could be the censor wire at a bad angle or something along those lines. Problem is I'm kind of a newb with the wiring and am not sure where the censor is located in order to check (or how to check for that matter). Anyone with any incite or any ideas on what else it could be would be greatly appreciated. She's an 07 fwiw.

Thanks!

I've read several times that the oil level light can be a bit finicky and sometimes will simply stop coming on if you add a little bit more oil. You're checking oil on the centre stand, right? Maybe try adding a little bit more and see if it helps.

She doesn't actually have a center stand as the previous owner removed it. There are spools though and I still need to buy a stand but have basically just held it up off the kickstand as close to center as possible and checked. I suppose it couldn't hurt to add a little more just to be sure.

When the engine is cold, the oil is thicker and takes longer to drain down to the bottom of the engine when the bike is started up. When you lean the bike over in a turn this causes the light to come on, as the cold oil drains away from the sensor and takes a while to pool back in the bottom. Once the bike is warmed up you shouldn't see the oil light come on (unless you haven't got the oil filled up).

Fill the oil to the max line with the bike either on a paddock stand or with someone holding it upright for you.

When the engine is cold, the oil is thicker and takes longer to drain down to the bottom of the engine when the bike is started up. When you lean the bike over in a turn this causes the light to come on, as the cold oil drains away from the sensor and takes a while to pool back in the bottom. Once the bike is warmed up you shouldn't see the oil light come on (unless you haven't got the oil filled up).

Fill the oil to the max line with the bike either on a paddock stand or with someone holding it upright for you.

The op already stated the oil site glass was full of oil. Adding more oil could do more harm than good. Even if adding more oil turned the light off, it could be masking a more serious problem. Since the op lives in California, which is quite warm this time of year, i hardly think the cold oil draining to the sump is the problem. 90 * oil drains very nice. That leaves the sensor, its wiring, or on internal engine problem thats not letting the oil drain back down and trapping the oil in the head. Prob not the later. Hard to tell without knowing the history and maintenance record of the bike. Very hard to kill these motors with abuse though. I would go with the sensor. At least remove it, check to see if its within spec, clean it and see if the problem goes away. If your site glass is filled all the way, which is too much oil to begin with, you should not get an oil light.

Thanks kpd, That's what my concern is. I finally got a rear wheel stand today, put it up and double checked and yes, the glass is definitely full. I don't know where the censor wire is located and how to check it. Any help there would be helpful.

I think you'll find the oil level switch is located in the oil pan just behind the sump plug.
image.jpg
image.jpg
The FZ1 oil light is know to sometimes come on even when there is sufficient oil in the sump. However if it does come on definitely stop and check the sight glass first.

Kpd1031, I don't think anyone was suggesting to "overfill" the sump but rather keep the oil topped up to the upper/max level to reduce the chance of a spurious warning.

Last edited:
I think you'll find the oil level switch is located in the oil pan just behind the sump plug.
View attachment 23684
View attachment 23685
The FZ1 oil light is know to sometimes come on even when there is sufficient oil in the sump. However if it does come on definitely stop and check the sight glass first.

Kpd1031, I don't think anyone was suggesting to "overfill" the sump but rather keep the oil topped up to the upper/max level to reduce the chance of a spurious warning.

Sorry Bluey. I just go on the info the op gives. He said the site glass was full. He also said he held the bike up while checking. To tell him to add even more oil and make sure the bike is held straight is just bad info. Im not saying anyone is telling him to over fill his sump. People should however read and understand the info before giving advice.

Thank you gentlemen, I'll have a look at it tomorrow after work. Once I find the oil level switch, what should I be doing? Removing and cleaning it? Inspect it for loose wires? jiggle it? haha.

Hi Chameleon, sorry but I'm not an expert on the oil level switch. You could remove and clean it, but I would suspect that it is a non serviceable item and if faulty would require replacement. The part you need is 5VY-85720-00-00. PartShark have them.
image.jpg
Maybe someone else can give you some guidance? Good luck!!

Last edited:
Not sure if it's the best fix but maybe try an oil change before ordering a replacement part? Might be some crap or something in the sump causing issues otherwise generally it shouldn't flicker. I do recall my Honda Hornet manual saying it's not unusual for its oil light to flicker but that's a different bike so....

Where did I tell him to put more in? I said if it isn't full to the max line fill it to there, I didn't tell him to fill it to the top of the glass. I wrote about common issues experienced by many FZ1 riders. He said the bike doesn't have a center stand so his reading may have been off.

I live in Adelaide which has a similar climate to Cali and I had this issue with my bike on cool mornings.

One other issue he may have is the oil in there is too thick. Do you know what oil you have in the bike?

I found the answer more or less. She blinks 10 times, hesitates, and repeats.

"From the owners manual 3-4

This model is also equipped with a self diagnosis device for the oil level detection circuit. If the oil level detection circuit is defective, the following cycle will be repeated until the malfunction is corrected. The oil level warning light will flash ten times, then go off for 2.5 seconds. If this occurs, have a Yamaha dealer check the vehicle"

Where did I tell him to put more in? I said if it isn't full to the max line fill it to there, I didn't tell him to fill it to the top of the glass. I wrote about common issues experienced by many FZ1 riders. He said the bike doesn't have a center stand so his reading may have been off.

I live in Adelaide which has a similar climate to Cali and I had this issue with my bike on cool mornings.

One other issue he may have is the oil in there is too thick. Do you know what oil you have in the bike?

Easy there Dicko. Didnt say you said to add more oil. Another poster in fact did. However i still do not agree about your cold oil theory. Ive ridden in 20* temps and never saw an oil light. Those that do may have a bad part, includeing your self. Could be a bad batch of oil level senders.

remove the sender and clean it

View attachment 23684
View attachment 23685

You can soak the sender in kerosene (or even gasoline if you are not a wussy). You can also clean it with wesley's bleach white made for whitewall tires

Back