Gen II R1 Shock 2015+ Install guide

ausfz1

Hi all, been scouring Google to try and find as much info as I can about installing the 2015+ shock on Gen II. Apparently there is an illusive video that outlines the process? I'm keen but a little unsure of the exact process. Thanks in advance!

The no-mod adapter I fab (Version 4) is for '04-'08 R1 shocks only. The major problem with R1 shocks produced after that (includes '15+) is the higher placement of the nitrogen reservoir in relation to the upper shock eye.

As said, installation of the '15+ R1 shock is relatively simple. First, obtain or the modify upper shock washer/bushings by 1mm each side to allow the eye to fit into the FZ1 frame (32 > 30 mm). Lathe or surface grinder for purists, angle grinder or Dremel tool for neanderthals.

Second (optional) remove the lower eye and trim a few mm from the end if you want a bit more rear height adjustment to the FZ1. Stock adjustment range of the shock is a bit longer than the FZ1 shock.

Third, remove the FZ1 Voltage Regulator Tray with the V/R and rear brake fluid reservoir.

Voila! Install the R1 shock, which by the way, has a spring rate which falls between the '04-'06 R1 shock (good to a 150-180# rider) and the '07-'08 R1 shock, good to about 220#. So, if you are more than 210 or so, you will likely need a stronger spring.

Now that the shock is installed, you have to decide where to put the voltage regulator and brake reservoir. I have heard allegories of cutting out a portion of the tray, putting the regulator on the top rather than the bottom of the tray and welding on a new bracket for the reservoir. The wiring loom does not have a lot of slack at the V/R stub and you would otherwise have to do surgery on the loom to displace the V/R more than a few mm's. I have asked for detailed photos from those who claim an 'easy' fix but have yet to see them.

Oh yes, I have also heard that ty-wraps can make re-mounts very simple. However, the V/R tray also holds up the battery so you will have to do something about that should you decide to leave out the tray.

I looked into the process several years ago and concluded that modifications to the V/R tray where not economically feasible. Furthermore, '15+ springs for heavyweights were not readily available (just thinking ahead to marketability for a modded tray with a pair of skinny bushings).

So, that's the nutshell. Good luck!

P.S.: the video I found showed an install using an adapter similar to my Version 3 design which used the R1 upper shock clamp. That could/would lower the shock reservoir to avoid the V/R tray. Unfortunately, that design would raise the rear end an inch or 2 requiring other mods like an extended kickstand. It would also affect handling and turn-in in a negative way.

Satan666,
Thank you so much and I appreciate you taking the time to help a guy out.

off topic, do you still sell the highway pegs for the fz1 gen 2?

Back