Genuine Innovations Tire Repair Kit

For all the years biking I have toured and never carried a tire patch kit. I have been lucky that I have not needed it in some of the out of the way places that I have gone. I decided that with the type of riding that I do that my luck would run out sooner or later. I decided to be pro-active this year and hedge my bet.

Since I have both a bike with tubeless tires (FZ-1) and a bike with tube tires (KLR) that I needed a kit that would do both. They are hard to find. So I bought the Genuine Innovation Tubless Kit as well as a generic tube kit. Both are small, light and contain the basics to repair a tire roadside. They do not include the tire spoons that would be required to pull the tube on a tube-style tire, so I will add those later. The cheap generic kit came with 2 16g CO2 canisters and a short threaded hose. Only one of the cannisters was threaded making the other useless with that set up. The Tubless Kit came with 3 cannister (all 16g) and a filling unit that uses a puncture style set up for the canisters. Since I will carry both together the threading issue was not important (to me). Keep this in mind when buying and insist on checking the contents before buying.

I have shot some pictures to give you an idea of the size of the kit. It would be easy to pack in a tank bag or other pack and weighs less than a pound.
The Genuine Innovations kit for tubeless cost $35.00 from the dealer and did actually have a few tube patches glue and a small piece of sandpaper to rough up the surface before patching.

Tirekit1.jpg

G.I. Tubless kit and generic kit in grey box
Tirekit1contents.jpg

The Contents of the tubeless kit, no that's not beef jerky.those are the plugs
Tirekit2.jpg

The tube kit
Tirekit2contents.jpg

The contents of the tube kit, note only 1 of 2 CO2 cartridges has threads.

The generic kit was $30.00 , so the 2 together were $65.00. Should I need to use them off the beaten path even once they will seem like cheap insurance.

I've fixed about half a dozen flats on the road with my kit. You should double up on the CO2 canisters, or opt for the bigger ones. They'll give you enough air to get to a gas station, but that's about it.

The furthest I've traveled on a gummy rope is 200 miles, but I wouldn't rely on them. They sometimes pull out. Also I pack wire cutters to cut off excess rope, you don't want more than 0.5" on the outside.

or a razor blade could be used to cut off excess and smaller/easier to carry on the bike.Another thing to consider is getting 90 degree valve stems for ease of access.My wifes 750 maxim had a slow leak on a ride and the air hose that was close by would not go on the straight stem.I now run 90's on my FZ and her Vstar 1300

any idea where to get these huge co2 cartridges? i cant seem to find a store that carries them for a decent price anywhere.

Having a tire repair kit can be a very helpful tool if you also carry the necessary tools to get the wheel off the bike and the tire/tube, depending on the type of tire off the rim. I've carried repair kits for years that would only alow me to plug a small hole and refill the tire. In 47 years I've not used them once. Could be just luck but then again, I've never had a flat on any of my turcks or cars either. Again, maybe just luck. On my last renewal with Progressive, I opted for their roadside assistance. $10. I think, for me that beats carrying a bag of tools and screwing with a flat, when and if it happens, on the side of the road.

On my last renewal with Progressive, I opted for their roadside assistance. $10. I think, for me that beats carrying a bag of tools and screwing with a flat, when and if it happens, on the side of the road.

The bike that usually carries this gear goes where roadside assistance never will. I do carry the tools to get the job done, and will be carrying it on trips with the FZ. Like you, I have never (Knocking on wood as I type) had to do a flat repair on a bike, on the side of the road. Had one go flat in my garage after picking up a nail on the way home, but that's easy. Like most things, you only need them when you don't have them.

any idea where to get these huge co2 cartridges? i cant seem to find a store that carries them for a decent price anywhere.

CO2 Refill | CO2 Cartridge | Threaded CO2 Cartridge | CO2 Cylinder

Thanks for this review.
I am looking at a cross country trip and I definitely need to grab one of these ASAP. Instead of the CO2 I think I'm going to pack a little 12v air compressor since I did the cigarette lighter upgrade. If anyone hasn't done it - I think it would be beneficial to every rider. It just provides you with so many more options. :2cents:
Anyway - thanks again for the review.

On my last renewal with Progressive, I opted for their roadside assistance. $10. I think, for me that beats carrying a bag of tools and screwing with a flat, when and if it happens, on the side of the road.

Be sure to read the fine print. I have/had roadside assistance - also with towing. I didn't read the fine print and when I limped into a town (with my thermo light on). The polite Progressive dispatcher said I was covered for only part of the tow - I would have to pay in advance for the rest of the mileage. An additional $200 up front. :jaw drop: She was very perky considering I called at 2am.

Back