Go Pro Testing and reports

I was testing my New Go Pro on the default settings. I just turned it on and rode to Work. During the hours that it took to upload I did some further enhancements and will put up a better video soon, but here is the first draft.

It is Boring (run to work)( 6 plus minutes that you will never get back). I warned you!

[video=youtube;v8mO4fKlqsA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8mO4fKlqsA&feature=share&list=PL590C8F21F%20EA74A8F[/video]

Last edited:
technically challenged

I am too tired to figure out how to attach / embed the video, but I am sure Eric can help me out. I'm off for some shut eye.....

Thanks by the way.

That looked pretty good for low light. When did you paint the FZ1 orange? LOL. Nice throttle blip to get around the pick up at 10:16.

I enjoyed your music choices. "Road to Hell", that's my commute too... hehehe ...just like a Rat Race; I live to work, so I hit road. (the KTM is way better than a hybrid car) :tup:

Thanks, I always enjoy some point of view motorcycling videos!

I am too tired to figure out how to attach / embed the video, but I am sure Eric can help me out. I'm off for some shut eye.....

Thanks by the way.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfcLc4VoiPo]The Morning Bike Commute - YouTube[/ame]

On your video's YouTube page, just click on the 'share' button, under 'options' check the 'long link' box. Then just copy and paste the long link directly into your post and the forum does the BB code for you.

The Morning Bike Commute - YouTube

On your video's YouTube page, just click on the 'share' button, under 'options' check the 'long link' box. Then just copy and paste the long link directly into your post and the forum does the BB code for you.

Thanks Troy ! I just could not get my head around it last night even though I have done it before.

That last song is called "Dont Shoot, I'm a Man" from Devo's latest album "Something for Everyone" (I think it's a great album). I used to listen to Devo in the early mornings, driving out to the ski hills, to get in the right state of mind for the day. Hey, it was the 80's, what can I say.

Best part of my day

AHHHHHHH look out Lee, your on the wrong side of the road!!!!!!! :lol

then I thought, thats a funny looking FZ1, oh no it's the KTM..... :D

Your are right about the Funny Looking part. The KTM is an aquired taste, looks-wise for certain. A face only a rider could love.

It's hard to tell in the video, but as I leave the laneway behind my garage the black spots are Ice filled potholes (I was dodging them). It was -1* Celcius as I was leaving, but warmed up to 14 degrees by the time I went home.

It's hard to tell in the video, but as I leave the laneway behind my garage the black spots are Ice filled potholes (I was dodging them). It was -1* Celcius as I was leaving, but warmed up to 14 degrees by the time I went home.

Oh well I'm glad it wasn't cold for ya then! NOT! What do you have to have brass balls to ride in that temperature??? You must be layered up with lots of clothes to keep warm then! Probably look like the Michelin Man! :)

Not super human just prepared.

The big clunks that you hear in the video are the visor being lowered and raised (just before I leave the Garage and at a couple of trafffic lights) (the hazards of a helmet mounted camera). I don't even wear heated gear, just my REVIT jacket and pants. They have two layers (1 wind and waterproof)(1 quilted layer) and zip together. I also have heated grips, but didn't bother using them as the handguards offered enough protection even with regular summer (guantlet style) gloves.
You do have to be aware of road surface at that temperature, if it's black don't drive on it.

The wind noise for the camera was bad, it drowned out the sound of the bike for the most part. I will have to try a few different locations to see what works best. I have a couple of ram mount locations ready for that.

This Go Pro could create a Monster, it is so easy to use. I hate to admit it (they might revoke my man card) but I read the instructions (in my defense though, it was after I got it working).

Much More to come!

Last edited:
Take 2

I shortened the video by half to just over 6 minutes. This by just doubling the speed of the video footage. Unless the subject or scenery is great, anything longer is too much IMO.

[video=youtube;v8mO4fKlqsA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8mO4fKlqsA[/video]

Now I'm off to get some day time and off road footage. It is still below zero so it will be a few hours before it's comfortable, but the sun is shining!

Last edited:
Fun stuff Lee! I've got to get mine out and start getting more video.

One note for when you put it on the helmet? Try and keep head movement slow, deliberate and steady and look more with the eyes. It makes a smoother video. ;) I know first hand after making my own helmet mounted video. :D

Oh well I'm glad it wasn't cold for ya then! NOT! What do you have to have brass balls to ride in that temperature??? You must be layered up with lots of clothes to keep warm then! Probably look like the Michelin Man! :)

It's all about perspective. -1 might be cold for you Australians but it's plenty warm for someone who lives where he does.

Hell even on the opposite side of the Rockies where I am, -1 is a lovely day.

Gotta try and mount the go-pro to your bike to avoid the head movements.

I really want to get a go-pro and have it film everything I do, good insurance policy when someone backs into you and claims you hit them. I just saw a video like that a few weeks ago, it was pretty awesome when the scammer was caught in the act on video.

Working on it

Fun stuff Lee! I've got to get mine out and start getting more video.

One note for when you put it on the helmet? Try and keep head movement slow, deliberate and steady and look more with the eyes. It makes a smoother video. ;) I know first hand after making my own helmet mounted video. :D

I just rode the way I always do, checking side streets as I approach, mirror checks, shoulder checks, etc. The camera will always be a secondary concern when I ride. I am a rider first, film maker comes way down the list (it is just for a bit of fun).

I know what you were trying to explain and I do get it, and maybe on certain rides I will make a point of that for better shots.

I rode yesterday with the camera mounted on the front crash bar (with a ram mount arm) and I like the perspective for some things; sense of speed, better sound from engine (not perfect), easier to watch.

Downside; vibration and bumps give a wavy effect at certain RPMs and road surface. A little too low for what I wanted.

Another note: It was just above zero degrees when I headed out and the camera was good for over 7G's of footage over a 4 hour period in that temperature (down to 1/3) on the battery level readout. Mounted where it was it would not have been warmed by the engine heat. GoPro's batteries are sensitive to low temperature and last longer in the heat than the cold (so I'm told) so I was impressed.

Video in a couple of hours when You tube is finished digesting it (only another 112 minutes to go).:ugh:

Today it will be helmet mounted again in daylight.:tup:

Last edited:
Snow way man!

Those lucky Texans don't have to endure our pain ;)

Depending on cash flow this year I am honestly thinking about a set of Excel Rims to put the "summer" tires on, Then using the stockers for a studded set of tires to use in the snow and ice. My co-workers think I'm nuts (but they ride Harleys).........

Finally

The video is good to go! See above (previous) link.:tup:

Here is how most of it was shot,

IMG_1225.jpg

Last edited:
Back