Going on the road

Next month I'm going to embark on a kind of coast to coast. From GA to WA to visit an old friend. I've got a tentative planned route to get there:

5825d1302295295-how-early-too-early-snipimage.jpg

The closer the time comes, the more I rethink that route. I'm really looking forward to seeing my friend and I start thinking about slabbing it just to see her sooner! Either way, the plan is to camp as much as possible (an couch surf when the opportunity arises).

I'm trying to keep the route as flexible as possible. At this point I only have four must dos: Negro Leagues Museum in Kansas City, Yellowstone (I watch too much Smithsonian channel!), my friends house by the 23rd of May, and be at Fontana's in NC for the FZ1OA rally on the 10th of June.

I'm having to push Alaska to next year :banghead:

Looking for thoughts and suggestions. Thanks!

Explore

Don't miss the Grande Canyon. Maybe swing south going home to take in some of Arizona, Nevada, etc. Make a loop rather than just retrace your steps. I hear the Coast highway is great.

gateway arch is a must go to but watch ST. Louis area traffic is real bad and area isn't much better.Looks like you're passing through Topeka as well keep on going nothing there

Don't miss the Grande Canyon. Maybe swing south going home to take in some of Arizona, Nevada, etc. Make a loop rather than just retrace your steps. I hear the Coast highway is great.

I do plan on taking a more southerly route home. I have been to the Grand Canyon on my last (and first) cross country trip when I lived on the West Coast and came east for the WoW Ride In in 2004. This time, I'm thinking the Painted Desert.

gateway arch is a must go to but watch ST. Louis area traffic is real bad and area isn't much better.Looks like you're passing through Topeka as well keep on going nothing there

Been there, seen that. St. Louis traffic scares me! :scared0016: I still remember the blue Honda CRV that nearly ran me off the damned road. I'd probably still remember the license plate if I'd seen it. ;) It wasn't the only incident either.

Street Atlas says that route is 2,996 miles, google maps says 2,876. I'll likely plan a route with ITN Converter that uses google maps to export to the GPS/SA. Street Atlas isn't good for on road routes unless you know exactly where you want to go. It is good at giving you an idea of stops and estimating costs.

I didn't make Iowa or Nebraska on my last CC trip, so I'll likely go through there just to say I did ;) Maybe something like this.

Last edited:
Looks like you're rolling into Seattle on I-90. A nice stretch from Missoula, MT through Spokane, WA. However, after that, kinda flat and boring until you meet up with the Cascade Range. I'd recommend a swing slightly south to pick up Rt 12 to Rt 410. That will take you through Mount Rainer Nat'l Park. The time you spend on Rt 410 will be fantastic. Taking I-90 through the Cascades is the most direct but also the most boring. :2cents:

Back