Healthier Riders - How I lost weight

I cannot even remember the last time I got on a scale, probably should do. My greatest challenge is that I sit most of the day working on computer issues. I bet a lot of other people have the same problem.

That is my exact problem. Being in IT is not good for daily health.

Sitting Sucks

My greatest challenge is that I sit most of the day working on computer issues. I bet a lot of other people have the same problem.

Editing at a computer the last 20 years. Sucks on the back and waist. TOO many birthdays and potlucks at my work. I got here in 1990 at 215. Went to 262 by 2000, down to 245 by 2012, then 209 this last June 6th. Back up to 222 since Thanksgiving so back on myfitnesspal.com, plus added cycling and walking to my two heavy lifts a week. I check the scale every morning, but only write down Saturday's weight.

:shaking head:

I am 60 now, so I REALLY have to behave.

Attachments

• 209 @ 6'2" now 60 years old.jpg
    209 @ 6'2" now 60 years old.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 66
Yep.... working in IT has its downfalls on the waist, but with watching calories with myfitnesspal ive gotten good at staying down.

I gained 15lbs over the holidays, but with being good since the first ive dropped 8 of it already, so not too much left.

From all ive read, if you keep the weight off for 2+ years since losing a lot you should be good, as that's the hardest part.

Im almost 2 years since dropping 130 lbs and im not looking back! :)

I cannot even remember the last time I got on a scale, probably should do. My greatest challenge is that I sit most of the day working on computer issues. I bet a lot of other people have the same problem.
If you're to believe "the studies", sitting all day is killing you. Sounds dramatic, I know. But...just in case they're right, I made a little stand that allows me to have either a normal seated desk or a stand up desk. Works wonders for the lower back, too.

What we now consider normal and necessary in everyday life, to me, shows what we've lowered our standards and expectations to. We need wooden clubs, not mice and keyboards. :stupidPC:

*Ironic that I'm typing this while seated at a computer...and I really just wanted a reason to use the guy bashing a computer smiley.

Anyway, I've been involved in weight lifting and various other forms of exercise for over 20 years. Last year I decided to stop going to the gym and built some stuff for a home gym of sorts. A chin up and dip stand, heavy bag, an adjustable sand filled canvas sack, etc. Having it at home made a huge difference in my willingness to work out. A year after my decision to leave the iron alone, I feel a ton better with minimal joint pain (thank God). Still, these primarily body weight workouts (and boxing type of workouts) are much, much harder than anything I did with the weights other than high rep squats. However, I love food and alcohol, so it's always a battle to get down to the proper weight when the time comes, like beach time. Were it not for the support and willingness to help from my wife, I'd probably be huge (in a bad way).

Going through this thread and seeing the progress some have made and are making is quite inspirational. Nice work.

myfitnesspal.com

Every time I am NOT journaling I get lazy and the weight starts climbing. :icon_beer: :surrender:

Attachments

• 209.jpg
    209.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Every time I am NOT journaling I get lazy and the weight starts climbing. :icon_beer: :surrender:

Yep same here. I lost all my weight with myfitnesspal.com (130 lbs - went from 300-170) It takes time and dedication, but it can be done.

I work in IT and it may make it a bit harder to keep the weight off, but I know when I do get back up a little in weight, I do my hardcore diet and healthy eating and being incredibly strict and I can loose it in a decent amount of time.

Back