heated grip install question

RI_Grinch

Ok so I got a set of the BikeMaster heated grips yesterday. I've heard that they should be routed through a relay. My question is..which one? Is there one that is better than the other?

I used a 30A auto relay, does not matter as long as it can support the current. The inline fuse for the heated grips is 4 A. I used the relay for all my electrical outputs (Gps, usb, gopro ect.)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

With a 4 amp draw for the grips an relay from 10 amps and up is fine. Connect the battery to the normally open side of the relay and the grips to the common.

You want to wire the relay control to something that has power only when the key is on. Otherwise, if you forget to turn off the grips grips it will drain the battery. Been there, done that, and it's no fun.

Ok i got the relay. I have the ppsitive from the fused link going into the switch pole,the positive going to the pos on the relay and the ground to the ground. The "lamp" pole is empty and the grips wont turn on. Do i need to wire the other pole in somewhere?

I couldn't quite follow your description. But I found this diagram of what you are looking to do.

HeatGrip_instruction.jpg

1. Battery + power goes through the fuse and connects to the normally open side of the relay contacts. (The numbers shown for this relay may differ from yours).
2. The common of the relay's switching contacts is connected to the grip temperature controller.
3. There will not be power supplied to the controller until the relay is energized.
4. One side of the relay coil is wired to ground.
5. The other side of the relay coil is connected to somewhere that has 12 volts only when the ignition switch is on.
6. Now when you turn the ignition switch on and relay energizes and sends power to the grip controller.

Wired this way when you shutoff the ignition switch the grips will go off and not drain the battery.

Ignore the attached thumbnail below. I couldn't get the bloody thing to delete.

Attachments

• grips_relay.jpg
    grips_relay.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Back