Hello

Hi Guys, just a post to introduce myself to the site! I have just taken delivery of a brand new FZ1n in Diamond Black and I LOVE it!! It's not been out much yet, as there is still far too much salt on the local roads!! I think it should be clear for take-off by next week though! I've already added an Ermax smoked fly screen, fender extender, R&G bobbins and an SW Motech Alu-rack.

I would like to ask a couple of questions of those who know! The first is this: the bike is supplied with Dunlop Tyres, which I historically dislike because I had real problems with them on my XJR, when it was new. Are they OK on the FZ1 or should I fit my favoured Bridgestones? Any opinions?

Secondly, and this may sound old-fashioned but what are the thoughts on running this engine in?

Thanks, in advance :)

Well, I can't help with any of your technical questions...my husband does my tires and my bike was used, but I can say

:welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome: to the best & friendliest forum!

and when you do get the bike out, we expect pictures :waiting:

I didn't find the stock tyres too bad but others didn't like them at all. I suggest that you give them a try first and make your own mind up.

On running the engine in, I followed the manual mostly but wasn't afraid to give it a rev now and then. I never flogged the bike and varied the revs a fair bit.

Good luck with your new bike, it looks really good.
Well done on your purchase.

Sent from my Nexus 5

For the first 1000km just try to make sure you don't sit at a particular RPM for much sustained time. I have been told that short trips are better for it at first as well. Get the engine up to temp, ride it for a while and then let it cool all the way down and repeat until 1000km or so.

This may seem excessive, but I also like to change the oil almost immediately in any brand new engine. That way any debris from manufacture gets cleared. With my FZ1 I changed the oil at 75km, 1000km, 5000km, and then every 5000 after that. Again, some people might find this to be excessive, but for the cost of an oil change I like the peace of mind.

I didn't mind the OEM tires but I killed then awfully fast. I don't think there is an urgent need to change them but see how you feel about them once the rear tire is bald. I didn't bother buying a second rear to finish off the front, I just switched to Metzlers and am happy with the change.

Welcome to the site. There are lots of really friendly folks here and you can find an answer for almost any question you have. (Sometimes several answers!) I'm sure you will have a tremendous amount of fun in that bike. How about some pictures of it?

Thanks very much for the informative replies, guys. Much appreciated. It's just good to get the opinions of other owners. The salt on the roads here has almost gone now, so the bike will be out and about from tomorrow. I can't wait to start getting some miles on it!!:flash:
I will upload some pics with the new screen, top rack, crash bungs and fender extender shortly..
Thanks again

I didn't mind stock tires on mine. Also I've rebuilt several engines both 2 and 4 stroke and I'm a believer in break it in the way you are gonna ride it.
I bought a Silverado new at the end of 06 and tried the baby it break in, it didn't run any better than any of the engines I ran hard.

I also broke the wife's fz8 in from 4 miles in like that no issues yet. (service tech put first 4 miles on)

I don't know how mine was ridden the first 874 miles but the last 7000+ have been all or nothing kinda miles and it also has had 0 issues.

That's just my .02 take it how you will, but just like asking what oil to run everyone has an opinion on the correct way.

Hi & welcome
I had a zzr 1100 some years ago that ran beautifully on bridgestone tyres , so I fitted them to my hayabusa & they were awful so its a case of trying it mate ....
Stayed in Edinburgh last year & loved it

Yeah, I was wondering about that. Like I say, these Dunlops were (in my opinion), dangerous on my XJR1300 but I suppose they might be OK on the FZ1 and the issue with them was when my XJR was new in 2007, so the tyres are probably better now than they were then...

I'll certainly give them a chance but I think at change time, it will be Bridgestones for me! I'm planning taking the bike to Fort William in the West Highlands on Monday, the tyres should be scrubbed after that! ;)

I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed Edinburgh. I hope you were made to feel welcome.

Cheers.

F
Yeah, I was wondering about that. Like I say, these Dunlops were (in my opinion), dangerous on my XJR1300 but I suppose they might be OK on the FZ1 and the issue with them was when my XJR was new in 2007, so the tyres are probably better now than they were then...

I'll certainly give them a chance but I think at change time, it will be Bridgestones for me! I'm planning taking the bike to Fort William in the West Highlands on Monday, the tyres should be scrubbed after that! ;)

I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed Edinburgh. I hope you were made to feel welcome.

Cheers.

Indeed we were ,, we had a fab time !!
Keep us posted on your thoughts of the bike once you have paired with it :stunta]::stunta]:

Back