Help with tire wear?

I also posted this on the sister site, just in case, so you may tsee duplicate over there......anyway:

I need some help on this. I went for a track day at Mid Ohio on the FZ1 for the first time last weekend.

When loading up for the home trip, we're checking out tires, and both front and rear tires are scraped badly, little rubber balls on the surface all over, but specially on the sides. They look MELTED, is the best way to describe them.

These are the stock tires, with a little over 1000 miles on them (and the bike).

Are these things safe for the street now?

If they're safe for the street, are they safe for another track day? Would they even pass tech Inspection?

I'm an old Motocrosser, first time on a road race course, and have no experience, or frame of reference for road tire wear like this.

Yes they are fine for the street. The track, I don't know as I haven't been to the track.. yet. That just means that you were pushing them hard. My tires look the same after some spirited riding through Skaggs. This isn't my picture, but if they look like this, it is nothing to be worried about. View attachment 15306

Yes, that's exactly what they look like, thank you. I thought they looked like too much heat was generated, but if its not an issue on the street, I won't worry about it.

If anybody knows whether these are safe or would pass inspection for another Track Day, please let me know

Well, it's definitely heat that causes this, but I don't think it means they're too hot. When tires get too hot you'll notice that they'll start to feel more greasy. Also, I noticed that different types of twisties have different effects on how my tires look. They look more chewed up like this after riding roads with sweepers that you're in for a long time, but other canyons with shorter quicker turns and more straights tend to smooth out my tire.

there are many factors but one this for sure is that you need to get your suspension and tire pressure set up for your weight. heres a video that explains whats happening

I would find and watch any all videos of this dave guy hes pretty squared away
good luck

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JutNhZw1TB0]Types of Tyre Wear on Motorcycles - YouTube[/ame]

Back