High Mileage FZ1 | Dies @ Low RPM

New to the FZ1 forums!

I recently purchased a 2013 FZ1 with 75,000 miles on the clock (1 month ago). 4th owner. The second owner did around 55k on the bike. I purchased the bike, had absolutely no issues (I did oil change & coolant flush). Commute 60 miles a day for around 2 weeks. Then, I took it to Vegas (300 miles or so). After that trip, the bike dies at low rpm. I was stranded and left the bike at a mechanic (well known in LA). Air filter was clogged. Fuel filter (in tank) was rough (very dirty). They replaced those items, checked compression, checked plus, checked coils. All checked out all good. I picked it up, ran great for a few days. Now back to the same symptoms. I have only been using 91 Octane out here in CA. I am assuming the bike had a valve adjustment at some point, but I have no paperwork. The bike fires up normally, but dies between 20 seconds and 1 minute. Sometimes as soon as I put it in gear. No check engine light.

I know I am knew, I looked a lot on the forums already, but nothing seemed super applicable. A lot of Gen I issues. Any advice is appreciated! I heard it might need a valve adjustment but others said no, it wouldn't start if the valves were too tight. Not really sure. Trying to avoid the mechanic: "throw parts at it" but maybe thats what it needs?

Wouldn't think the air filter could have re-clogged unless you're in a lot of dust. Good that the mechanic ruled out the coils.

Have you re-checked the fuel filter? Is the inside of the tank rusty?

What does the fuel line look like? Has it been replaced with an automotive fuel line, or is it the original, stiff plastic-like fuel line? They tend to kink, and that could starve the engine for fuel. Kinks may not be obvious with the tank raised, but you may see white discoloration that would indicate that it kinks when the tank is lowered. If it's still the original, replacing the line is a good idea, even if it's not what is causing the issue here.

Wouldn't think the air filter could have re-clogged unless you're in a lot of dust. Good that the mechanic ruled out the coils.

Have you re-checked the fuel filter? Is the inside of the tank rusty?
Today I am going to go through the bike a bit more. I only rode the bike a few times, not of which to dusty areas like where I work. Just city area. I will check the tank today and report back!

What does the fuel line look like? Has it been replaced with an automotive fuel line, or is it the original, stiff plastic-like fuel line? They tend to kink, and that could starve the engine for fuel. Kinks may not be obvious with the tank raised, but you may see white discoloration that would indicate that it kinks when the tank is lowered. If it's still the original, replacing the line is a good idea, even if it's not what is causing the issue here.
I will check this today, I appreciate the advice!

Is there anyway to trouble shoot with an ohm meter? If not I can try and replace. Thanks!
Not really. You would need to hook up a pressure gauge to see what pressure its maintaining.

Another member on here is working thru a no code issue as well and it started to point towards a pump. I found what seems to be a good deal on a replacement from here:

It may sound crazy, but i would replace the fuel filter again if your in there doing the pump.

If you hit a dead end with the fuel system maybe look at low voltage/charging system issue? That should be throwing some sort of code though.

Hi everyone! Apologies for taking so long with the update. So I took a good look at everything. Nothing seemed crazy. I couldnt quite see the fuel filer in the tank (but I know that was replaced). Air filter looked good. However, the hose from the fuel pump to the fuel rail / throttle body, seemed slightly kinked. I will try and attached a photo. I replaced that and hasnt had the issue since. However, I have not driven it that much....so keep you all updated! 1000008093.jpg

Back