Honest Feedback on 2008/2009 FZ1's

I am in the market for a new bike...with a little more motor than my Ducati 800 Monster. I rode a 2006 FZ1 today..and was very impressed. However....the owner had spent a lot of money fixing what he called fueling issues. Enough that he tried to talk me out of one. Any feedback on how well a 2008/2009 stock bike performs would be appreciated.

I believe that Yamaha has addressed all the fueling issues that were found on the 2006 model, so the 07,08, and 09 models should be good to go. The 06' was the first of the new generation of FZ1 and the first with fuel injection.

is 300.00 dollars alot of money??

.....nobody tell my wife that, I'll be in serious trouble. Gen I owner, but I believe that is the cost to fix the problem on an '06. But in later model years, Yamaha did there part to address the "snatchiness" of the throttle -- you can still pay around 400-600 for an FCE and PCIII to fully unlock the monster that lays dormant......but I necessarily would not say that is too bad a thing.....

Welcome to the Forum!

07 - 09 should have no problems. I have 08 and I have had no issues with the snatchiness of the throttle, except that I keep snatching a handful every time I ride it.

Look on this and the other forum. A number of good bikes, that are barely broken in that are for sale with a ton of mods. That is the way to go. You won't be disappointed.

Well for $195 it's easy enough to fix the fueling issue on the '06 with Ivan's FCE. And really it's not like the bike is unridable w/o it. I would say if you liked the FZ1 after riding it then go for it. There are some really good deals out there on some used ones.

I have had my 08 long enough to spend a few bucks on mods ($1500 or so) and none were for throttle response problems. If you can't stand the heat get out of the fire, so to speak. All around, the bike is fine, even without the MIVV and PCIII it is a great bike. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

I've got 650 miles on my 08 FZ1 (bought new in July 09). Only mods are fender eliminator and highway pegs. I am absolutely pleased with my purchase! My prior ride was a carbed Kawasaki ZZR600 which was smooth shifting, throttle and clutch at any RPM. The FZ1 is not as smooth at slow speeds and low rpms, because of the fuel injection. Under 4000 RPM (or maybe 4500) It has some minor hesitation between throttle and clutch when shifting that took a bit of getting used to. I hardly notice it now that I have adjusted to it. If you shift at 5000 RPM or higher there is no hesitation at all. I love this bike's Jekyl and Hyde nature, you can ride around town shifting at 3000 RPM and the bike is as docile as any small street bike, or you can tach it up past 7000 RPM and it quickly becomes a beast.

To sum things up, in my opinion this bike is awesome. Its comfortable, handles good and is plenty quick. My only complaint is that Yamaha clearly had the space to make the gas tank a little bigger, and I believe the only reason they didnt was because they were losing potential sales on the FJR.

To sum things up, in my opinion this bike is awesome. Its comfortable, handles good and is plenty quick. My only complaint is that Yamaha clearly had the space to make the gas tank a little bigger, and I believe the only reason they didn't was because they were losing potential sales on the FJR.

Never thought of it like that -- but then I have a 5.3 gallon tank on the Gen I....

Adam

i like my 09.runs great,the bar shape sucks,looks good.the only beef i have the handlebar is shaped funny and causes my right hand to go to sleep after a short time.i'm gonna try some gel grips and then a different handlebar.i never keep a bike much over 2 years or so anyway,so i'm sure the next one won't be and fz-1.

Good point Drzsmrider. I forgot about the handlebar angle, so I guess I have two small complaints about my FZ.

I too dislike the angle of my wrists with the stock position of the handlebars. Haven't done it yet, but I intend to rotate the stock bars downward (and adjust the controls accordingly) which should be much more comfortable. I'm also going to add some 1" up and 1" back Barback risers at the same time for a bit more relaxed riding comfort.

Back