Hot Fuel Tank

Just wanted to check if this is normal for an FZ1 and if anyone has some ideas on how to resolve it.

I picked up a new 2011 FZ1 a couple months ago. I love the bike but there is one thing that is bothering me. The fuel tank gets very hot. I didn't notice it at first, but once the daytime temps reached the upper 90's I noticed the fuel tank gets very hot. The bike's engine temp runs between 190-210, witch is in the normal range. The tank is very hot to the touch and is very uncomfortable to the inside of the legs when riding. I have to force myself to sit back a couple inches from the tank. Since I'm very short my riding style is to hug the tank. I've added tank grip material that has insulated it some, but it is still very hot. I was out riding in 105 degree heat yesterday and it was very uncomfortable. I've had black bikes before and they get very hot in the sun, but this one is Silver so that should not cause it. My son has a black ZX10 and his fuel tank is much cooler than mine.

Does anyone else have this issue? Is it normal for the FZ? Any ideas how to prevent it or at least insulate the rider?

It's not been issue that I'm aware of and I run with a magnetic tank bag but I've never noticed the contents getting warm, it's most likely just ambient heat being reflected off the metal tank, like touching a car's surface after it's been sitting in the sun. At speed heat from the engine should not be a problem raising the tank temp.

I park in the shade most of the time. The hot tank is when I'm riding. It cools when it's not running. I thought about a tank wrap. I don't really like the look of them but thought for the summer time I could put one on with maybe some insulation under it. when the the temp is under 90 I thnk it cools better and I don't notice the tank being hot. Unfortunately where I live it's over 90 degrees most of the year, May to October.

Ya the bike does get pretty toasty while riding. I wear riding pants so it doesn't hurt like you said. I don't think a tank pad would do much good beside taking away a little of the heat which riding gear would do the same.

I've seen more than a few magazine testers complain about the heat..........and I agree with them. I've been riding 28 years and the FZ1 is the worst ball cooker I've ever owned.

Does anyone else have this issue? Is it normal for the FZ? Any ideas how to prevent it or at least insulate the rider?

I'm fairly new to the FZ1 too, and I certainly noticed this with my bike here in the summer Texas heat. One day I rode it to work and left it parked in the sun. As I was riding home I kept smelling gas. When I go home, I noticed fuel vapor "wisping" out of the vent tube by the center-stand. Since then I always try to park it in the shade.

But yes - even parked in the shade, I notice the tank gets hot in 90+ temps. I *think* I've noticed keeping the tank full helps with the temp. One thing for sure - when it's hot & empty, it feels real nice getting on the bike right after you fill it up with cool fuel... :)

Last edited:
It doesn't just cook balls. :) I saw a picture somewhere of some guy on an FZ1 in shorts. I don't see how anyone could ride these like that. I've had times when I get home from work and the inside of my knees stay beet red for hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the tank actually isn't that hot..

it's more of the main frame that's just below the tank, and in constant touch to the inner thighs when riding that's hot.

I can feel the nice cool gas when I fuel up.

Yeah... That's what I was going to say. When I ride my FZ I don't notice the tank getting/being hot but every time I stop and fill up with gas (while sitting on the seat) I always notice the tank suddenly gets cool against my leg. I've owned about 10 or so bikes over the years and have never noticed the tank getting noticeably cooler when I'm filling up the tank on any other bike before.

I stay in India where it gets much hotter. I have a 2012 white FZ1N. Sometime ago i saw a couple of pics of a FZ tank being opened up for a regular air-filter change and i noticed a heat insulating (shiny silverish) foil under the tank...as if it were applied to the tank inner surface.
Maybe if your bike does not have one...fixing one could reduce the tank to heat up.

I've noticed the cooler tank on my FZ1 & FZ6 at fillup, but never noticed it necessarily "hot"... You have to think the gas tank is going to gradually heat up from outside temp, lets say 70f, to 120 or so while the bike runs and engine heats up to around 180. If this were an instant change, you'd notice it getting hot quickly. Take the 120 tank and fill it with 60-70 degree fuel very quickly, and it will quickly cool the tank and you'll notice the difference..

It doesn't just cook balls. :) I saw a picture somewhere of some guy on an FZ1 in shorts. I don't see how anyone could ride these like that. I've had times when I get home from work and the inside of my knees stay beet red for hours.

That's called first degree

Back